Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2021, 04:11   #1

Johnson P5 fresh water pump lost prime?

I recently purchased a 1987 sailboat and the owners were not using freshwater system saying it would not prime. I have filled the 50 gallon bow tank, opened all faucets to expel water in lines so far, no change. The original Johnson P5 type pump is running but not building pressure. I removed intake hose from pump and jetted water back towards tank hoping to remove any air pockets. I also jetted water down the output side and had flowing water from all faucets and shower both hot and cold. I added a lot of water on the output side thinking I need to insure hot water heater is full of water with no air pocket. I also jetted water through water pump from intake side to output side and got a lot of scale deposits out of it. I have allowed the pump to run many times with no change. Any suggestions other than time for a new pump maybe? Thanks for any input!

Dale
Cruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:16   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Johnson P5 fresh water pump lost prime?

Likely the diaphragm or check valves or both in this pump are shot. Just grab a new pump and carry on with other projects.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:04   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Johnson P5 fresh water pump lost prime?

Sounds like either the pump is bad or you have a leak allowing air into the line on the supply side. Use something to suck water from the tank and see that you are not getting a stream of air bubbles. More than likely it is the pump rather than a leak but you can rule out the leak for peace of mind.

A quick Google didn't reveal a parts/rebuild kit for a Johnson P5 though it may exist. Sounds like time for a new pump.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, pump, water, water pump