Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2021, 11:52   #1

Boat: Moody 425
Jabsco Twist ‘n’ Lock Marine toilet issue

Over the years I’ve had many of these but this is the 1st time I’ve had this problem, and both heads are having it. What happens is often when pumping the bowl dry, the lever that switches from water in to water out (flush control lever) moves a little bit and makes it so the pump will not work. When this happens I have to hold the valve with 1 hand while pumping with the other, and then it works properly.

My thought is that the top valve gasket or the valve spring is bad. Has anyone experienced or have knowledge of this, and know how to solve it?

Thanks
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:10   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Jabsco Twist ‘n’ Lock Marine toilet issue

Common problem. I presume it’s wear on the cam surface, though I had two brand new toilets that did it. On our current Jabsco the problem is worse if you plunge all the way down; short higher strokes don’t suffer it as badly.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:17   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380

I just rebuilt both mine. But i didnt have this issue. Are your levers loose? I recall an o ring in the assembly that would cause the necessary friction.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Common problem. I presume it’s wear on the cam surface, though I had two brand new toilets that did it. On our current Jabsco the problem is worse if you plunge all the way down; short higher strokes don’t suffer it as badly.

Both of these are fairly new. I have noticed that it’s not as bad or as often with shorter strokes, but I’d like to resolve this issue instead of using a work-a-round.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
I just rebuilt both mine. But i didnt have this issue. Are your levers loose? I recall an o ring in the assembly that would cause the necessary friction.

Neither feel loose. I’ll pull them apart as soon as I have time to check the o-rings. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2021, 20:20   #6
Marine Service Provider

Sounds like you have problem that's been very common in Jabsco manual toilets for a couple of decades...it even pre-dates the twist n lock version: a failed wet/dry cam. The wet/dry "valve" is actually just a little "gate" (the cam) that the lever swings to block or unblock the flow of incoming flush water. Due to either a tooling or mfr'g flaw that Jabsco has never seen fit to fix, it hangs up...creating back pressure that feels like pumping against a clog or blocked tank vent, except it only happens in one mode--usually the wet mode.

The cure: replace the wet/dry cam assembly.
Jabsco often sends out a new one for no charge...but then you have to take the pump apart to replace it, which can be a PITA and really messy because you can't flush water through the pump to clean it out before you take it apart. Worse yet, it's not a part that's included in a service kit.

So my advice: just replace the pump instead. It's prob'ly overdue for a
rebuild or at least a joker valve --and besides, modern Jabsco toilets have fairly short lifespan--they're purposely made to be "disposable" like everything else today. A service kit costs almost as much as a pump, which doesn't cost that much anyway..and swapping it out only requires removing and replacing the 4 bolts that hold the pump on the base and two hoses, which beats the socks off taking the pump apart!

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 20:36   #7

Thanks Peggie. That makes sense, although in our case it usually happens only in the dry mode.

Do you know if Jabsco honors their warranty with a replacement part? The pumps I have were installed within the last 6 months or so. I also do have 2 new pumps and 2 old pumps as spares. Maybe I should try swapping the valves from the old pumps (in which that part worked)?
Old 08-09-2021, 06:06   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

I agree with Peggie that replacing the entire pump is a better plan than trying to rebuild one. It's certainly easier and faster and it doesn't cost a lot more than the rebuild kit.

I carry one as a spare.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:45   #9

Boat: Hunter 340 '99

I had neverending problems with the manual Jabsco head on Sequoyah, including this one. Replacing the pump about once every eighteen months helped. At last I took Peggie Hall's advice, replacing the setup with Raritan. There have been no further troubles.
Sequoyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:07   #10

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Before you buy a rebuild kit for this kind of head, compare the price with what it costs to buy a whole new complete pump assembly. When I last did this the difference was about $25 which I would gladly pay to not have to get up close and personal with the inside parts of my head.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:53   #11

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

+1 on replace over rebuild. Have done it several times when I waited and found the pump assembly on sale…
Old 08-09-2021, 09:06   #12

Boat: Moody 376

i'll second the replace over rebuild. while you have things apart, good idea to try to descale the pipes to make sure you got good flow.

I did two heads earlier this year. I think one of my joker valves might be bad. I'm getting a little bit of back flow after i flush.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:35   #13
Marine Service Provider

That makes sense, although in our case it usually happens only in the dry mode.

Thats where it usually happens.

Jabsco usually replaces the wet/dry cam assembly if the toilet is new enough to still be under warranty. Paul Campagna is their toilet guru...his direct line is 978.282.5246.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:50   #14

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
i'll second the replace over rebuild. while you have things apart, good idea to try to descale the pipes to make sure you got good flow.

I did two heads earlier this year. I think one of my joker valves might be bad. I'm getting a little bit of back flow after i flush.
More likely the "locking" position on the handle is not putting adequate pressure on the flapper valve at the bottom of the pump, I think; or scale on those sealing areas...
THis is what the pointed "cone" does at the base of the piston.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 16:46   #15

Jabsco Twist ‘n’ Lock Marine toilet issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
That makes sense, although in our case it usually happens only in the dry mode.

Thats where it usually happens.

Jabsco usually replaces the wet/dry cam assembly if the toilet is new enough to still be under warranty. Paul Campagna is their toilet guru...his direct line is 978.282.5246.

--Peggie

Thanks Peggie. Both of ours are new installs, but I’ll have to check my records to see when I bought them. I always make sure I have at least 1, usually 2 new ones ready to go in an emergency (plus I typically have 1 or 2 old ones for parts).

Tags
jabsco, marine, oil