Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2021, 16:57   #16

Re: Jabsco Twist ‘n’ Lock Marine toilet issue

When you install the new pump assy do not over tighten the 4 bolts that clamp it down to the base. Doing so squeezes the rubber out of shape and ends up with the flap valve miss aligned.

Common mistake.

Back in the day when I was doing a lot of these I would tighten lightly and then operate the the head and make adjustments in tension until no water leaked.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 17:40   #17

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

I have noticed this same issue, installed the service kit which made no difference. Also nothing seemed to help the squeaky pump problem. Dish soap, vegetable oil, etc.. No joy in the head.....

Until: Oatey brand silicone plumber's lube (available @ Home Depot)! This has the consistency of heavy oil. A teaspoon dribbled in a nearly dry bowl and pumped through the works, fixes the squeak and also helps the cam problem. During this summer's cruise, it did the trick for three weeks of daily use. My theory is, the jerky vibration of the squeaky pump causes the lever to move a bit and stop the pump. Smooth pump action, no vibration, and no problem.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 18:42   #18

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I’ve found that setting the lever hard to dry and shutting off the salt intake works wonders. We use the head shower to add a bit of fresh water as needed to clear the bowl.
Using fresh as opposed to salt has been a game changer in terms of smell.
We also use a bit of cp, ko, or noflex in the tank.
And yes I’ve had the struggles with the levee and have had to push it hard to the right.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 19:20   #19

Boat: Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
When you install the new pump assy do not over tighten the 4 bolts that clamp it down to the base. Doing so squeezes the rubber out of shape and ends up with the flap valve miss aligned.

Common mistake.

Back in the day when I was doing a lot of these I would tighten lightly and then operate the the head and make adjustments in tension until no water leaked.

Yes. I learned that same lesson years ago. Not just for replacing the pump but also for servicing, if you’re so inclined.
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:11   #20

Boat: Lagoon 380

The piston responds well to a heavy coat of silicone grease on the large o ring. This fixed a high drag/difficult to pump issue on both of mine.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:55   #21
Marine Service Provider

You can dab a little grease on an o-ring or flush veggie oil down the toilet every few weeks, or you can spend about 15 minutes every spring replacing the grease that's in every manual toilet pump when it leaves the factory.

SuperLube thick grease is what Raritan uses and even includes a one-use tube in their rebuild kits. Available from Ace Hardware and Home Depot for about $7/tube that'll last for years. It's also good to use on y-valves, winches, seacocks and anything else that needs periodic lubrication.

To use it: Unless your toilet is a Raritan PHII, remove the top of the pump and stick the tube nozzle into the pump. Give the tube a healthy squirt--about a tablespoon. Re-attach the pump to the base or replace the top, pump a few times to spread the grease all over the inside of the pump. Replace the top of the pump, and you're done.

If your toilet is a Raritan PH II or any other toilet that makes removing the top impossible, remove the 4 bolts that hold the pump on the base and lift the pump just high enough to stick the nozzle on the tube into it..give it healthy squirt--about a tablespoon, re-attach the pump to the base--being careful not to over-tighten the bolts--and you're done.

That should be all the lubrication your toilet will need till next spring if you're a "weekend warrior," or for at least 6 months if you're a live-aboard...never any need to pour any "head lube" or veggie oil into it. Replace the joker valve annually to maintain the pump's efficiency.

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:32   #22

Boat: Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
That makes sense, although in our case it usually happens only in the dry mode.

Thats where it usually happens.

Jabsco usually replaces the wet/dry cam assembly if the toilet is new enough to still be under warranty. Paul Campagna is their toilet guru...his direct line is 978.282.5246.

--Peggie

Peggie,

I got in touch with Paul - I was delayed in reaching him because we were off of the boat for a few weeks. Both my pumps were under warranty. I expected him to send me new cams but instead he sent me 2 new pumps! I received them the other day and finally got the 1st one installed (took a while because I had a problem with a hose). The cam feels totally different, as if the design has changed. There’s now a positive “switch” feel that makes me think this design will be much better.

Many thanks to you. And also to Paul and for the great customer service.

Larry
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:48   #23
Marine Service Provider

That's great news...and the kind of customer service that's rare today!

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco, marine, oil