Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 14:05   #1

Boat: Newport 27
Jabsco Toilet--Where to start

My wife and I just bought a 1970 Newport 27 as a learning boat. My first learning experience is going to be how to get the Jabsco toilet functioning. Having never seen, operated or used a marine toilet, I'm not sure where to start. I have located the Y-valve (Assume its to the holding tank and safed with a tie wrap), Holding Tank, Overboard Discharge (Closed) and Water Intake (Open). Pumping the pump handle, I would expect to see water filling the bowl depending on the position of the lever. Pumping the pump, nothing happens. Is it an operator issue on my part? Where do I start my troubleshooting?
ThreeQrtrTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 16:35   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeQrtrTime
My wife and I just bought a 1970 Newport 27 as a learning boat. My first learning experience is going to be how to get the Jabsco toilet functioning. Having never seen, operated or used a marine toilet, I'm not sure where to start. I have located the Y-valve (Assume its to the holding tank and safed with a tie wrap), Holding Tank, Overboard Discharge (Closed) and Water Intake (Open). Pumping the pump handle, I would expect to see water filling the bowl depending on the position of the lever. Pumping the pump, nothing happens. Is it an operator issue on my part? Where do I start my troubleshooting?
There is a switch near the handle. One position is wet, water pumps in, one position is dry, water pumps out.

If you have the intake open and the y-valve is set to holding tank it should pump. If you are feeling no resistance at all, the pump handle going up and down with no water, the pump could need an overhaul.

How old the head is and the general condition may dictate your next step. I purchased a brand new head the first time around and just overhauled the pump 5 years later.

There are several recent Jabsco overhaul threads going right now. Use the google search on the forum menu and you will find them. I cant post links as I am working from my ilad today...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 17:02   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
You may have to prime the toilet with water to activate it if its been dry for a while

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 17:53   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Jabsco Toilet--Where to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeQrtrTime View Post
Where to start? without being rude, have you downloaded the manual? (ITT/Jabsco)

May need primed. May be plugged. Note, however, that it does not fill the bowl, it pumps in and out at the same time.
Old 29-09-2012, 18:16   #5

There is the chance that you head is dead.

If it is, consider getting the best manual head on the market, the Raritan PHII (or smaller PHC). They also make a model called the LBA which is the pump and base and you reuse your old bowl.

We bought the whole PHII on a great sale.

Here's what we did:

Installation of Raritan PHII head w/Flix
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 19:55   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

If your pump is not working, buy a new pump. They are apparently about the same price as a rebuild kit.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 20:40   #7

Thanks for the replys. I'm looking for the manual. I'll try to prime first. Then see if taking it apart and cleaning/ lubricating the parts as I don't think its been operated for a little while. If, all else fails, I'll probably by a replacement pump. Kind of want to see if I can make it work for the learning experience. Get to know your toilet 101.
Old 29-09-2012, 20:44   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
If your pump is not working, buy a new pump. They are apparently about the same price as a rebuild kit.
This is the best advise, if you need to repair it. Make sure that the through hull valve that feeds the tolet is open, then try to pump it. If that doesn't work, try putting some fresh water in it. It should at least pump it into the holding tank if that is the way the Y valve is set. If this doen't work, close all through hull fittings and remove it for replacement.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 22:44   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Here is a link to the manual for the current production Jabsco manual toilet.
http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/itemdoc142681.pdf
With a boat that old, it might have one of the older toilets. If it is an older model, buy a new base and pump. You can reuse the bowl.
Here is a link to buy the pump Jabsco Toilet Pump - 29040-3000
Here is a link to buy Peggie Hall's book Get Rid of Boat Odors by Peggie Hall
The book deals with marine sanitation systems and toilet maintenance.
Old 30-09-2012, 05:51   #10

Boat: Grand Soleill 41 - Gali

Before you dig into your pockets and buy a full service kit (most of which you'll never use) I recommend you do the following:
Shut the raw (salt) water valve. And remove the raw water hose from the top of the pump. Carefully open the valve to see if salt water are coming in. If you don't get water in, the culprit is the hose or the valve which should be serviced. You can service the valve while in the boat is in the water but this is a subject for another thread.
If you get water through the hose then shut the valve (do not re-attach the hose to the pump). Disconnect the hose which lead from the pump to the toilet bowel. Open carefully the six screws at the top of the pump (use a hand tool not a powered one) lift the top of the pump carefully the pump piston will come out as well. If possible take a picture of the pump to remind you later wher each piece is located. Pay special attention to position and orientation of the small piece of black plastic. Remove and replace the two valves rubber part. Replace the O ring on the piston, lubricate best you can the pump cylinder with silicon grease or Vaseline, reposition the top of the pump making sure it is properly seated (it will leak water if not set properly) insert the screws and tighten them evenly in diagonal pattern DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN as these suckers will eat the threads and will get you into bigger troubles (although curable). Reattach the hoses making sure the clamps are tight (it may be a good idea to replace them too). Open the raw water valve and try using the pump, lever on the left first.
If it works, fine. Look for leaks and fix if needed.
If it does not work take two aspirins and call me in the morning, we'll move to the next step.
Old 30-09-2012, 06:16   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by levm View Post
Before you dig into your pockets and buy a full service kit (most of which you'll never use) I recommend you do the following:
Shut the raw (salt) water valve. And remove the raw water hose from the top of the pump. Carefully open the valve to see if salt water are coming in. If you don't get water in, the culprit is the hose or the valve which should be serviced. You can service the valve while in the boat is in the water but this is a subject for another thread.
If you get water through the hose then shut the valve (do not re-attach the hose to the pump). Disconnect the hose which lead from the pump to the toilet bowel. Open carefully the six screws at the top of the pump (use a hand tool not a powered one) lift the top of the pump carefully the pump piston will come out as well. If possible take a picture of the pump to remind you later wher each piece is located. Pay special attention to position and orientation of the small piece of black plastic. Remove and replace the two valves rubber part. Replace the O ring on the piston, lubricate best you can the pump cylinder with silicon grease or Vaseline, reposition the top of the pump making sure it is properly seated (it will leak water if not set properly) insert the screws and tighten them evenly in diagonal pattern DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN as these suckers will eat the threads and will get you into bigger troubles (although curable). Reattach the hoses making sure the clamps are tight (it may be a good idea to replace them too). Open the raw water valve and try using the pump, lever on the left first.
If it works, fine. Look for leaks and fix if needed.
If it does not work take two aspirins and call me in the morning, we'll move to the next step.

+1
Would like to add that when replacing the screws into the threads, turn the screw gently anti-clockwise, until you feel the screw drop into the thread. Its quite easy to just turn clockwise and for the screw to cut a new thread into the plastic, which is not what you want.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 17:27   #12

Went to the boat today to work on the toilet. Removed the inlet hose and lowered it towards the floor. Water came out in what looked like sufficient qty so reconnected and tried the pump. Nothing. Poured some water into the bowl and pumped. Could tell the pump was doing something and putting the lever to the pump out position I could hear the water going to the holding tank. With the lever in the fill position still no water. Removed the outlet hose and pumped. No water coming out. Removed both hoses and put my hand over the inlet port while pumping. I could feel the vacuum pressure. Put hoses back on and tried it. Still no water. Took the six screws from the top of the pump out and removed the upper pump assembly. Removed the gasket with the two flapper valves. Basically cleaned it up some. One flapper valve had a weight. The weight had some corrosion on it. Cleaned it up a bit. Re-assembled and tried it. Everything worked fine. Not really sure what fixed it. Tested it several times during the day with no problems..........My wife alway said I had magic hands, guess its true.
Old 06-10-2012, 18:00   #13

Good job QTQ and welcome to CF

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 19:19   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Congradulations,

I don't want to rain on your parade but it has been my experience that once you start having problems with these cheap toilet's, the problems tend to return. Hope you have better luck then most of us.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 19:51   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day 3/4 time,

Well, I think that you have done just fine here, and to offset the previous post, here's a contrary experience with Jabsco heads...

When we bought this boat it had an essentially new Jabsco. I wasn't very impressed with it, having previously had an all-bronze Wilcox-Crittenden (sp?). We've lived aboard for the following 9+years, mostly at anchor, and that head is still working. In that time I have had to replace the joker valve a couple of times (true for all head designs AFAIK), and the seal on the pump shaft twice. The first time for that operation I purchased a replacement from Jabsco. It included the threaded plastic housing, making it a simple screw out, screw in process... but the part cost 66 bucks here in Oz. OOOWWWW!
So I had a look at it, and the actual seal is a simple lip seal, available at any bearing and seal supply house in the world. Here in Oz they go for less than 3 dollars. Getting the old one out can take a few minutes, pressing the new one in takes a few seconds. Done!

Similarly, the o-ring on the piston can be locally sourced.

Anyway, while the Jabsco isn't the best marine head I've ever seen, it is servicable and can last long enough to satisfy my cheapskate feelings.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
jabsco