Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2018, 18:28   #16

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'
Re: Jabsco - small leak by handle

Thanks, Peggie. That's what I was hoping someone could post. A quick search shows the conversion kit sells for $250-350 depending on the source. I also saw a new toilet with the PH pump for about $300.

Being a cheapskate, I think I'll try Jim Cate's advice first, then replace the pump if I still have trouble.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 19:06   #17

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

I fixed mine a long time ago.

The nut that closes the top has a seal in there.

Knock out the seal, drill the hole bigger, and fit a brass sleeve that allows the shaft to slide freely. The brass will outlive the plastic, and its the plastic going oval, that causes the seal to leak. Now pull the garter spring out of a new seal, and replace it with an O ring that fits slightly tighter. The O ring wont rust. Refit seal, assemble pump, and fill the whole area under the seal with good grease.

They sell brass pipe in hobby stores, ace hardware etc.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:40   #18

Boat: MartzCraft 35, 10.67m
Send a message via Skype™ to lmantuano

G'day Jim..

have you bought any of those seals recently (8x19x7 ) ? would you be able to tell me where ? I'm in Melbourne but happy to order them interstate and have them posted.

thanx
Luigi M
lmantuano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:02   #19

Boat: ODAY 28

yes agree , it cost less to replace pump assy. than replacing parts, plus alot quicker, and it come with a joker valve.
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:06   #20

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Nigel, yes that is the correct one. It looks like item 17 & 28 could be replaced or as someone said works to better material. Thanks
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:44   #21
Marine Service Provider

I also saw a new toilet with the PH pump for about $300.

If you saw it on Defender's site, that is the PH SuperFlush. They've had it on sale for that price for a while. The only real difference between the SuperFlush is the base...Raritan redesigned it to fit the mounting bolt patterns for Jabsco and most other manual toilets. It uses the same PH II pump that's been top rated since it was introduced in 1982.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:59   #22
Marine Service Provider

Jim Cate wrote We've had a Jabsco head now for 15 years and had the usual issues with it...

It's survived that long because it was made before ITT spun Jabsco off to Xylem, who makes all Jabsco equipment sold in the US in Mexico with all parts and materials sourced from China and other Asian countries. Xylem only has manufacturing facilities in 3 locations: China, Mexico and the UK...since China is the closest one to OZ I believe that's where all Jabsco sold there is made. So the replacement parts available today aren't made to the same standards as they used to be. So IMO it's likely to be cheaper to upgrade to a higher quality toilet than to keep pouring money--not to mention putting up with the aggravation--into a Jabsco.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 13:04   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmantuano View Post
G'day Jim..

have you bought any of those seals recently (8x19x7 ) ? would you be able to tell me where ? I'm in Melbourne but happy to order them interstate and have them posted.

thanx
Luigi M
Luigi, I bought the last lot from Wynnum Nuts and Bolts in Wynnum Qld, but they are bog standard seals and will be available from any shop that sells seals and bearings. The tip about replacing the little spring with an o-ring is excellent advice for any seal that is working in sea water... especially raw water pumps. It improves service life considerably, and we've found that most shops will do the replacement for the price of the o-ring... a few cents!

Jim
Old 12-03-2018, 15:14   #24

Boat: MartzCraft 35, 10.67m
Send a message via Skype™ to lmantuano

Thanx Jim,

good to hear they are a common part, I'll be trying locally but I also have friends in Wynnum that could buy them for me and post them, too easy..

Sure, replacing the spring with an O-ring is a brilliant move. To make it clearer, it's the small shaft seal in the screw-on housing at the top of the pump. The small spring in the seal is not stainless steel and IT WILL RUST.

lm
lmantuano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 16:03   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Jim Cate wrote We've had a Jabsco head now for 15 years and had the usual issues with it...

It's survived that long because it was made before ITT spun Jabsco off to Xylem, who makes all Jabsco equipment sold in the US in Mexico with all parts and materials sourced from China and other Asian countries. Xylem only has manufacturing facilities in 3 locations: China, Mexico and the UK...since China is the closest one to OZ I believe that's where all Jabsco sold there is made. So the replacement parts available today aren't made to the same standards as they used to be. So IMO it's likely to be cheaper to upgrade to a higher quality toilet than to keep pouring money--not to mention putting up with the aggravation--into a Jabsco.
Hi Peggy,

Well, you are right that the base toilet is from an earlier era, but I replaced the pump assembly about two years ago here in Australia when 4 of the 6 fixing screws that hold the top plate stripped (after countless disassemblies). The "new" pump has been holding up pretty well so far, but I'll likely need to replace that shaft seal before too long and I will once again DiY the job as described.

I do agree that the Jabsco stuff has declined in quality over the years, and I'd surely not recommend buying one now , but replacing it to avoid having to renew the shaft seal now and then seems excessive to me. But then, the job is easy for me and may not be so for others.

I sure miss the grand old Wilcox Crittenden "Imperial" all bronze head that I had on our previous boat. Pretty bullet proof at age of 30 years when we sold the boat... and the new owner removed it, threw it in the dumpster and replaced it with... a Jabsco! He did a few other stupid (IMO) things with the boat, all sad to see.

Anyhow, I thank you for sharing all your knowledge with us here on CF... a great resource.

Jim
Old 13-03-2018, 04:31   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Both Jabsco heads in my boat are the earlier era ones. I replaced the top seal assembly last year on both of them as one had a slight leak.
Parts came from the UK facility (don't know if the were made in the UK). Price of the assembly is £6, the cost of a lip seal with stainless steel garter spring from an online supplier is £7.
Must take a look at that seal in the housing and see if the spring is stainless or not.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 19:23   #27

Was googling with the same problem & found this thread. We just replaced the whole valve system a little over a month ago & mine leaks now too. The pre-curser to both problems were guests who yanked the pump handle while it was locked instead of twisting to unlock. We just bought some gaskets instead of a new $85 kit. It's been really frustrating, I don't mind taking people out on my boat but I'll have to stop if no one listens to my toilet briefing.
Heller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 14:38   #28

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

There is a replacement kit for the gasket right under the hand pump. I believe to get to it you UNSCREW the plastic plate hinder the handle. Mine had a decal on it and I never noticed it. Had replaced everything else a number of times and just happened upon this and small leak gone. Very easy and inexpensive fix.

Good luck
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 20:57   #29

Boat: Casacde 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heller View Post
Was googling with the same problem & found this thread. We just replaced the whole valve system a little over a month ago & mine leaks now too. The pre-curser to both problems were guests who yanked the pump handle while it was locked instead of twisting to unlock. We just bought some gaskets instead of a new $85 kit. It's been really frustrating, I don't mind taking people out on my boat but I'll have to stop if no one listens to my toilet briefing.
I fixed that problem. In the head are a List of step by step instructions for operating the head followed by a note that instructs whoever buggered it up to contact the captain who will provide you with the tools, instructions and spare parts so you can fix it for the next person to use it. Seems to work okay.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 04:21   #30

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
I fixed that problem. In the head are a List of step by step instructions for operating the head followed by a note that instructs whoever buggered it up to contact the captain who will provide you with the tools, instructions and spare parts so you can fix it for the next person to use it. Seems to work okay.
That said, the problem is with Jabsco's design and build. This sort of thing is going to happen. The pumps should be made to handle it.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco