Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2024, 09:08   #1

Boat: Trader 41 12.5m
Jabsco Self Priming Waste Pump

Have recently (less than 2 years) changed to Trader 41 with holding tank emtied with the above Jabsco self priming pump. Have had constant problem. It has worked sometimes but has been difficult each time returning to boat after 2/3 months getting it to prime. Have fitted new diaphram and seal. Have removed outlet side and filled with water, still no joy. Pump is fitted according to instructions, vertical with the motor above the pump head. I don't hear an air suction leak. Afraid to ask a boatyard as unlikely to find someone with knowledge about a not so 'everyday' problem. Jabsco just say "fit a new service kit"! - Help!!!
Ipapadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 10:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Jabsco Self Priming Waste Pump

I strongly suspect that most macerator pump are the result of failing to realize that macerator pumps require a bit of preventive maintenance 'cuz waste is sticky. When it's left to sit and dry out in a macerator pump, the result is a "stuck" impeller that can even be stuck tight enough to crack or even break an impeller vane...and when the impeller is damaged, it can't generate enough pull to prime the pump. Rinsing out the pump after each use with clean water after use MAY be solution to your problem.

This would also require rinsing out the tank...easy to do and can even be done with a washdown pump: Put 4-6" of water into the tank via deck pumpout fitting--'cuz that sends the water into the tank at the bottom to stir up any sludge so it can be pulled out by the macerator. Let the water run while you run the macerator pump long enough to rinse it and its plumbing out.

This is my own cockeyed idea and I'd love it if you'll try it to see if it increases the performance and lifespan of your macerator pump. It can't hurt and it just might be the answer.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 10:58   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Peggy, he mentioned replacing the “diaphragm “. In might not be a macerator pump. I like your clean out idea.
Old 12-01-2024, 12:46   #4

Boat: Trader 41 12.5m

Thanks to both Peggie and HopCar. The latter is correct in that it is a self priming Jabsco. Had another go this morning, dissasembled and turned the diaphram round opposite to the picture in the instructions (it's a bit vague). Before linking up to the inlet & outlet hoses tried it dry - sucking air through my fingers at the inlet and blowing out at the outlet. Connected all up - now working. Still not confident as I'm fairly sure it once worked previously after renewing diaphram, even the former diaphram didn't look faulty!
Re our two toilets with macerator pumps, prior to leaving for a few months, I normally add vinegar and baking soda for a couple of hours, then flush about 3 times before closing seacocks.
Re hosing out the holding tank, I have been nervous about emptying completely to the bottom of the the suck out pipe. I haven't enough experience to know if doing this would negate self priming again.
Ipapadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 13:18   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Both diaphragm pumps and impeller pumps are self priming. Running dry won’t hurt the diaphragm pump but will damage an impeller after a short time. Do what Peggy suggests.
Old 12-01-2024, 13:37   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

You can confirm the pump works by taking it off the boat, and using some hoses to pump water from a bucket. You can also test it's ability to self prime, and how much lift it has. My holding tank is in the keel, and inadequate lift has always been my obstacle.

Once you confirm the pump is working, try to use a pluming snake through the hose from the pump back to the tank. Also from the pump to the through-hull but IME the place it clogs is the line to the tank.

Then try to clear the vent line to the tank with air or water blown into the vent from outside.

Failing that, check very thoroughly for air leaks. I have several times seen systems that are incorrectly designed such that when attempting to pump out air will bleed in either through the head or an antisiphon on valve and cause the system to not prime. So it would be good to draw out the whole system if you don't have such a drawing, and look at it very critically.
Old 13-01-2024, 07:56   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Peggy, he mentioned replacing the “diaphragm “. In might not be a macerator pump. I like your clean out idea.

Thanks, Parks! It's easy enough to know whether it's an impeller driven macerator pump or a diaphragm pump: the model number will tell us that.

-Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco, pump