Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2023, 09:08   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5
Jabsco manual pump issue

They all hope you are having a great New Year!

I have a jabsco manual pump toilet. I Bought a new pump assembly and installed it however i reused the old weighed flap valve at the bottom of the pump (not The Joker valve, but rather the flap valve)

I installed it and everything has been working great. Except recently something weird happened - It would pump water in but not pump the bowl out. When I was pumping with the lever on the "empty" selection there was very little resistance.

Then on "empty" it changed from no resistance to an easy upstroke and blocked downstroke. Not like a blocked vent, but rather a hydrolocked pump. I didn't try to force it because it felt like surely it would break if I did. Eventually, it started sorta working again - but only if I push the pump back in slowly - if I press the pump handle in quickly, it binds again.

Do you think it's that old flap valve?
What parts should I start checking here?
sv_isara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:11   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Jabsco manual pump issue

make sure its not trying to empty into a closed seacock. I dont think its relevant, but why reused the weighted flapper? I just replaced both my pumps, fyi.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:32   #3

Boat: Hullmaster 27

My pump sucked in some seaweed once, and did something very similar ... easy to clean by disassembling the pump again.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:37   #4

I recently had a similar issue - it was something blocking/obstructing the seawater intake. To unblock it I removed the seawater pipe from the pump and fitted it were the outlet pipe goes, hence forcing water in reverse through the intake. It took a few pumps, but then cleared itself.
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:43   #5
Marine Service Provider

Why did you choose to replace the new flapper valve that was in the toilet pump with an old worn one? It's most likely getting "hung up." So the first thing to check--and replaced with the new one.

There is another possibility that's kinda common in Jabsco manual toilets, even new ones: a failed wet/dry cam. The wet/dry "valve" is actually just a little "gate" (the cam) that the lever swings to block or unblock the flow of incoming flush water. Due to either a tooling or mfr'g flaw, it hangs up...creating back pressure that feels like pumping against a clog or blocked tank vent, except it only happens in one mode--usually the wet mode.

The cure: replace the wet/dry cam assembly.
Jabsco often sends out a new one for no charge...but then you have to take the pump apart to replace it, which can be a PITA and really messy because you can't flush water through the pump to clean it out before you take it apart.

So my advice: If replacing the worn flapper valve with the new one doesn't cure the problem, replace the pump again. If it's still under warranty, return it (AFTER you replace the worn out flapper with the new one!) for an exchange.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 19:24   #6

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiekeith View Post
I recently had a similar issue - it was something blocking/obstructing the seawater intake. To unblock it I removed the seawater pipe from the pump and fitted it were the outlet pipe goes, hence forcing water in reverse through the intake. It took a few pumps, but then cleared itself.
This is ONLY happening on 'dry' mode, but maybe something still got sucked into the seawater intake.

I temporarily lost the new flap valve, but i found it so i will (sigh) open this sh** up again.
sv_isara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 09:12   #7
Marine Service Provider

The major advantage to replacing a Jabsco manual toilet pump instead of rebuilding it is, it only requires removing and replacing 2 hoses and 4 bolts...no need to open up the pump. So You shouldn't have opened it up in the first place...unless it was an attempt to solve the problem you're having with it. That it didn't work is a pretty strong indication that the problem is a failed wet/dry cam assembly.

Paul Campagna is Jabsco's toilet guru. I suggest you give him a call before doing anything else. His direct line is 978.282.5246

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
make sure its not trying to empty into a closed seacock. I dont think its relevant, but why reused the weighted flapper? I just replaced both my pumps, fyi.
This could be the switch lever at the top you have to make sure it is all the way one way or the other
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco, pump