Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2013, 15:00   #1

Jabsco Macerator Failures...

Installed two new Jabsco Macerators in the boat about 2 1/2 years ago. One failed about 6 months ago, found hair wrapped up around the little prop in there. Now the second one has failed, just won't run and I haven't performed the surgery yet.

So how often you you all need to replace macerators? We lived on the hook for two years or so in Mexico, Costa Rica, & Panama so we used them alot. Now we're getting pumped out in a Florida marina preparing for the next trip, so less use on the macerators.

I really, truly, positively, with out a doubt hate working with the wrong end of the sewage system and am willing to buy a better pump.

I could use your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks
darrellsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 15:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Jabsco Macerator Failures...

We have two heads, each equiped with a Jabsco macerator pump. Our aft head has little use and our forward head has daily use. Each pump seems to last about five years regardless of use. They do not fail from wraps of hair around the cutting blades. Anything that actually binds against the turning can be overcome by mechanically turning the shaft when placing a flat head screw driver in the slot provided at the base of the pump and turning it clockwise. My pumps always fail because the four long bolts that hold the pump together corrode and they seem to corrode at the same rate regardless of use once they are exposed to use. A new stand-by replacement pump can sit for years without shortening it's shelf life. These are annecdotal observations made over more than forty years of living aboard.
Old 30-08-2013, 15:45   #3

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll try your suggestion, but since it's failed here in Florida and not someplace far away from UPS and Fedex it is a good time to rethink the equipment.

Thanks
Darrell
Old 30-08-2013, 15:50   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellsmith View Post
Installed two new Jabsco Macerators in the boat about 2 1/2 years ago. One failed about 6 months ago, found hair wrapped up around the little prop in there. Now the second one has failed, just won't run and I haven't performed the surgery yet.

So how often you you all need to replace macerators? We lived on the hook for two years or so in Mexico, Costa Rica, & Panama so we used them alot. Now we're getting pumped out in a Florida marina preparing for the next trip, so less use on the macerators.

I really, truly, positively, with out a doubt hate working with the wrong end of the sewage system and am willing to buy a better pump.

I could use your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks
I had the same problem with the macerators in our shower sumps, so I just took the blades off. Problem solved. Of course you are working with the blackwater system if I understand correctly. Are these macerators in the heads or the overboard dumps? If they are between the head and the holding tank I guess your screwed because you really need the chopper. If they are just going overboard and your head already macerated the waste, maybe you don't need the choppers. The other thing that you might do is stop the admiral from cleaning her hairbrush over the head. I had a similar issue with mine and told her next time she was going to have to fix it. The next time I handed her the manual and the tool box, problem solved.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 15:59   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hair is not good for any pump. can you figger out how to keep the hair out of the pump, then the pump wont fail as often. i use screening material. works.
but how is hair in the macerator pump.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 16:04   #6

possible to change over to diaphragm pumps?... or do you need the macerating...? It seems to me the things are always failing... but as noted some people have good luck with them too.... arent there some power driven sewage diaphragm pumps on the market? or any reason the head cant pump into the tank? with nothing else?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 16:14   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
possible to change over to diaphragm pumps?... or do you need the macerating...? It seems to me the things are always failing... but as noted some people have good luck with them too.... arent there some power driven sewage diaphragm pumps on the market? or any reason the head cant pump into the tank? with nothing else?
I have a friend with a diaphram pump and hasd even less luck. Something is always jamming the check valves. He has to disassemble it at least once a season in th Bahams and he only cruises 3 months a year.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 16:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I have a friend with a diaphram pump and hasd even less luck. Something is always jamming the check valves. He has to disassemble it at least once a season in th Bahams and he only cruises 3 months a year.
Good to know, makes sense....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 17:11   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've been able to deal with hair successfully. It's dental floss that really did me in!
Old 30-08-2013, 17:39   #10

Location: Salish Sea in summer/Puerto Vallarta in the winter - no boat just sun and beaches!
Boat: Benford 34 Junk Schooner

My Jabsco macerator pump (used for emptying the waste tank overboard in open waters) failed in the Bahamas. The mechanic I visited there sold me a Shurflo pump with the argument that they are more reliable than Jabsco. We'll see - I used it for two months and then put the boat into storage - going back in October for the big test - will it still work?
PaulSommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 18:20   #11

Boat: Seaward 22

hmmmmm....time for a bucket....a low failure rate
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 18:47   #12

The long bolts (10-32 I think, in the smaller pumps) that hold everything together on the Jabsco pump are made of brass. Replace with stainless and they hang together much longer. Try to set up the pump so you can get a screwdriver on the end of the shaft to clear the stuff that the pump can't overcome.
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 19:21   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Maybe I'm the guy who gets all the lemons from Jabsco but I've had nothing but early failures with their pumps: macerator, fresh water, and oil.

Macerator turned but didn't pump.
Fresh water: 1st one just stopped working. replacement was supposed to be variable speed and one day metamorphosed itself into just an off/on pump.
Oil: started blowing fuses with oil hot or cold.

I ended up changing to another brand name vendor over 6 years ago and have had no problems.

Definitely not a scientific study.

I was a liveaboard up to a year ago.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 19:50   #14

After our Jabsco started jamming and the case rusting, I replaced with a SeaLand T-Series Waste Discharge Pump. I don't know how old was the Jabsco - at least 3 years old. Installation of the SeaLand was a bit tricky - the discharge needed 5' of 1 1/2" hose connected to the 3/4" coupler. The pump is quieter and clears the holding tank nicely. Doesn't chop/macerate, but that's not a problem for us. Pump won't rust and doesn't have the 6 month to 2 year failure common with the Jabsco. I'm happy with this upgrade.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 14:16   #15

Big thank you to all those responses to my question.

We have Lavac heads, so the waste is somewhat macerated when it gets to the holding tank, so the blades might not be needed. I'm more inclined to change to a better pumping mechanism since maceration isn't really the top need for these pumps.

Once again, thanks.

Tags
jabsco, paracelle