Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2013, 17:52   #1

Jabsco lite head

I recently replace the manual head with the jabsco lite electric head. Works great with one exception. The head will not hold the primer water, once the water is introduced into the bowl it slowly seeps into the holding tank. Any solution?
eastman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 18:04   #2

Re: Jabsco lite head

The Joker Vale for that head is located in the molded white hose. At.the.flange. you can pull it apart for inspection and clean it
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 18:43   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

That's an interesting toilet. I hadn't paid it much attention until your question came up. Frankly it's strange looking.

There are a few things I like about it. Jabsco used a diaphram pump for the supply water. That should be a lot quieter than the rubber impeller pumps they use in their older design.

I also like the foot switch control option.
Old 22-06-2013, 18:48   #4

Yes the retrofit went as described as being an exact replacement for the manual head. We went with the remote wall mounted switch.
Old 22-06-2013, 19:04   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think Motion is on the right track. It looks like the joker valve is the only thing holding the water in the bowl. Joker valves are really not designed to do that. They are meant to keep stuff from flowing back into the bowl. I don't think I'd worry about it. Just push the rinse button before you use it and the flush button after and leave the bowl dry.
Old 23-06-2013, 18:00   #6

Hop car that's a good solution but I seem to be getting a slight odor when the bowl is dry.
Old 23-06-2013, 18:28   #7

my girlfriend threw a reinforced paper tell in the toilet . its cause the belt to jump off the pully. one month later the belt broke . it was a 40-day back log to get the pulley and belt kit from Jabsco of course I ordered two so that would not happen to me again
Old 23-06-2013, 18:30   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Odor in the toilet can come from two directions.
It can come from the rim of the bowl where the flush water comes in or it can come back from the discharge hose.

If the odor is blocked by water in the bowl, it's coming back from the discharge.
The joker valve is supposed to prevent the back flow. Follow Motions advise and inspect or change the joker valve.

If it still smells with clean water in the bowl, the smell is coming from the rim of the bowl.
Old 23-06-2013, 18:33   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Motion30, I noticed that the belt / pulley kit is the only repair kit available for the pumps. If anything else goes wrong, you replace the whole pump. Actually that's not a bad thing. I hate working on toilet pumps.
Old 23-06-2013, 18:50   #10

I'm not sure there's much else to go wrong in there , separate water pump ,separate motor for the masenator. I bought one of the early Jabsco light toilets , there was a problem as its didn't waste back up into the toilet . Jabsco replaced it with a new style pump no questions asked
Old 24-06-2013, 09:04   #11

Thanks HopCar. I will replace the joker valve and smell what happens. I am also going to send tech support an email and see what they say.
Old 12-12-2013, 19:37   #12

Can you convert these heads to use fresh water from the boats potable system?
Splaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 20:50   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

All the experts say not to connect a raw water flush toilet to your pressure fresh water system. They say there is danger of contaminating your fresh water supply.

On toilets designed to flush with fresh water, Jabsco uses a solenoid valve (37038-1012 or 37038-1024) with syphon breaker to control the intake water. You could probably by pass the intake pump and install the solenoid valve in the fresh water supply line and run a hose to the back of the bowl from discharge side of the solenoid valve. Then you'd need to figure out the wiring and control. Talk to Jabsco about this before you do it. There may be other dangers that I don't see.

Another option would be to install a tank that holds water that will only be used to flush the toilet and make sure the two systems are never connected together.
Old 14-12-2013, 04:57   #14

Thank you, HopCar.

There is a British valve that takes care of the air gap and the back flow problem its called a Narbic Anti pollution valve. Comes in various sizes but is very expensive about $330.
I was just wondering if there was some reason the Lite flush would object to fresh water rather than Salt.
I'm going to dedicate one of my 4 water tanks to Head use only and then install one of these valves in the fill line from the watermaker so one valve will do both heads. it will also be installed at least 18'' above the tank fill point so a second air gap will be present.
Thanks again.
Splaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 08:12   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You won't have a problem using fresh water, in fact it's a good idea. You might want to put in a three way valve that would allow you to choose to flush with salt water if the fresh water tank is running low. You've already got the thru-hull and seacock installed.

Tags
head, jabsco