Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2022, 10:42   #1

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Jabsco leak.

Pump is a Jabsco Sensor-Max 17. Model 31755-0000
Leak is on inlet side. O ring and clip holds filter to pump body.
Is there a way to glue this fitting in place ?
Rotating the filter position increases the leak at some angles. Tried reducing weight of hose...angle of attack... still drips.
Leak not coming from pressure switch. Pump works ok.
We found instructions on one way and pressure reducing valves and their placement on the hot water tank but the pump ran fine for quite some time without the valve or expansion tank.
We think it’s a flat spot that developed on the o ring so we want to glue in a new o ring as this drip, drip, drip is something out of an Edgar Alan Poe story.
My manatee crew never drinks water ( only beer) and they are happy with a dock hose to brush their teeth.
Please help the human crew.
Captain Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 12:20   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Jabsco leak.

That clip is supposed to compress the O-ring. I can think of several possibilities for it not doing so.

Was the replacement O-ring as fat as the original, not just the same diameter? Soft and compressible?

Is the clip worn, such that it doesn't push the O-ring firmly in place?

Is the slot that the clip slides into worn or cracked?

Is there dirt/hair/manatee finger nails on the surface that the O-ring seats against?

Oh. If you push/hold the fitting into the side, adding pressure against the O-ring, does it then leak? If it doesn't leak, the cause is at the O-ring.

Fix it? If you can't find the problem, consider proper use of gasket maker. Coat the surface, put the fitting into place, but don't compress it. Next day, after it sets up, compress it. People tend to use goo and immediately torque the nuts, thereby defeating the purpose of having elastic gasket maker.

If all that fails, have a manatee sit on it.
Old 27-02-2022, 13:14   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Jabsco leak.

The replacement o ring was Jabsco. Identical dimensions but we didn’t check the clip and mating surfaces....good suggestion. I’ll see if we can find another ring or possibly one slightly thicker. No cracks or flat spots we can see.
Do you have any recommendations as to which gasket goop?
I hate these o ring - clip connections. Superglue me thinks is way too strong but that’s what our hatch gaskets came with from the factory.
I don’t think 5200 will stick to the plastic but I’m willing to try.
When we run the hydronic boiler which heats our hot water, can it increase the pressure in the cold water pump feed to the point that it is the cause of the leak?
Do I need a pressure limiting valve before the pump?
Jabsco has a page about this but I’m not clear as to why this is necessary.
The manatees are sleeping away the results of Saturday night dance party and are of no help. What goop? Can we take out a pipe thread tap ? Is there any other pump we won’t waste money on ?
I’m envious of your simple Lilly Pad life.
Driven crazy by drips... Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco