Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2013, 06:41   #46

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: jabsco joker valve an annual replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMorgan View Post
.............. Since I'm about to plunge in (sorry), how do you keep all the black water from running out onto you when you remove the joker valve flange? ...........
I would expect the holding tank to be below the head (it is on my boat and my previous boat) so nothing should come out.

In many cases it is easier to remove the head from the boat (three screws and two hoses) and work on it outside of the boat where there is more room and fresh air. Once you've removed the head from the boat, you can wash it down with a garden hose before you start work on it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 07:02   #47

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Thanks for the common sense replies. Sounds like a good rainy day project. Next up, replacing sanitation hose!
Unless your discharge hose is emitting odors, you might be able to save yourself some difficulty by flushing a solution of SaltAway through your system with fresh water (although it will also work in saltwater). The product dissolves accumulations of salt and calcium carbonate quite effectively. We keep squeeze bottles of a mild solution in each of the heads on our boat and, after use and emptying the bowls, we run a quart or so of fresh water into the bowls, and add a good squirt of the SaltAway solution, and pump it into the lines with the pump lever in the Dry Bowl position. With this our lines have remained free and clear, the joker valves pliable and unobstructed and the pumps easy and effective. A squirt of HeadLube, which is really nothing but Olive Oil with some additives, once a moth or so keeps the pumps quite happy. We've follow this protocol for 10 years with no difficulties and no need of head parts replacements since we began.

FWIW..
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 07:17   #48

If you're using an odor control product such as Odorlos, you have to watch what you flush down the head. Many chemicals will render the odor control product useless.

Old 14-05-2013, 07:48   #49
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Thanks for the common sense replies. Sounds like a good rainy day project. Next up, replacing sanitation hose!
Negative on the rainy day. You'll want the hatches open.

As to the original question, yes, you can expect to replace joker valves annually if you're living aboard or giving the boat heavy usage. But cheer up, it's not a tough job. Ours take less than ten minutes each to replace, and that includes time to mop up.
Old 15-05-2013, 05:51   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by malukusailor View Post
........ Also have a sign " if you didn't eat it don't put it here"
I've seen that before, but the paper goes in as well (single ply cheap Scotts brand from the grocery store).

I have heard of people and even know a couple who insist that paper should not go down the head. They put used toilet paper in a plastic bag and dispose of it in the trash can.

Well, I find that pretty disgusting and my wife and I have been putting toilet paper into the head for ten years now without a problem.

My wife is well past the stage of using feminine hygene products, but I keep a supply of small plastic and paper bags on board and if younger females are on board as guests, my wife gives them the talk and instructions for the use of the plastic and paper bags.

Tags
jabsco, joker valve