Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 11:54   #46
Marine Service Provider

Re: Jabsco head

Yup.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 14:16   #47

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

I just Thank you all for your help, I do know nothing about it thats why I got a pro to install it properly back in march maybe it will work this weekend.
The girls would be so happy.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 16:37   #48
Marine Service Provider

Please find a "pro" who really IS one...'cuz your marina is ripping you off!
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 11:35   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Peg,

I admire your persistence on this and other threads. I have found that once having offered a suggestion and/or perhaps answered one or two follow-up questions on a subject with which I am well acquainted, there is no pay-off in continuing to respond to nay-sayers. In this case, most all of us older sailors/water-men/-women know Marine heads are not very complicated devices and properly maintained there is no reason why they should not last a very long time. Some, however, will manage to kill even the most robust equipment by doing exactly what the more experienced or knowledgable suggest against. No point arguing the matter. As was once observed, one can argue with a mule but it accomplishes nothing and irritates the mule.

FWIW....
Well, I guess there are two things -- one with a minimum amount of paperwork -- that you'd expect to do with a Jabsco that are not recommended by the "more experienced or knowledgeable" -- because that was the extent of the use. They are cheap and poorly engineered units, that's all.
Old 29-08-2011, 15:23   #50

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Jabsco Head

All I can say about the Raritan is that it is better engineered to take apart and put back together again than the Jabsco, but that is not saying much. My two Raritans had the bases crack (think smelly and ugly) within 2 months of each other, and that was some sort of design fault which disqualified them from future use on my boats.

Otherwise both the Raritan and the Jabsco heads are a constant battle for a liveaboard. Both types have had problems with the pistons getting squeaky and hard to use, the inlet valves leaking or sticking, the joker valves leaking, and the piston seals leaking. The really absurd thing is how much both makers charge for a rebuild kit, which contains a lot of parts you don't need.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 15:54   #51

Boat: Cal 2-29

All I can say is , I installed a new Jabsco Head in my vessel when I bought it in 2001. I have lived aboard for 5 1/2 years now and never a moments trouble. The piston 'O' ring is starting to wear now and that will take 15 mins and 75 cents to fix. However I know people who can break anything.
nylajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 18:33   #52
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

what i have noticed, from my one year of using a raritan manual and owning jabsco manual,--they are identical in problems , HOWEVER, my jabsco has lasted 6 yrs WITHOUT a rebuild, and the raritan we used in gulf was rebuilt 2 times during the trip due to performance difficulties.
my conclusion-- why pay mopre for exactly the same stuff......looks a lil different but behaves same.
i want my baby blake back......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 00:50   #53

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

You can take the pump off, make an adaptor for 1.5" pipe and connect it to a Whale diaphragm pump mounted on the bulkhead. The flush is taken care of by another smaller pump. No vaves, no hassles and mine is still going strong 25 yrs down the track. Easy to instruct people too: "That pump flushes, that one empties."
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 18:04   #54

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft
I've read the thread on jabsco pumps and have been surprised that there has been very little mention of disassembling the top of the pump where apart from the choker valve the other seals are based. Improper use of the pump usually causes a flap seal to set itself on the wrong position. Another cause can be that the o ring on the main plunger is perished and not creating a good draw. These are simple pumps that required basic service and disassembly oa a regular basis. As to use, on our boat which has usually a crew of 4 for the summer, we have 2 types of jabscos both over 6 years old and apart from the choker being replaced regularly and the **** being bet out of the hose to clear the calcium build up , thats been it. Regards Joe
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 18:14   #55

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

I have an electric Jabsco head and that lousy PVC plastic white base where the motor mounts developed cracks. So I yanked it apart freed up the motor screw inserts where corosion had I think caused the cracks and glued it together with plastic welder epoxy from Autozone.
Then they have this skinny black o-ring wont seal and hard to line up together pump, macerator plastic housing, just a pain. Ended up using a sealant on the outside as it was weeping around the flange where motor mounts to the base. So it is working again.
I remember when heads had bronze bases which is a lot more robust.
Why build a decent head and use a weak plastic base?
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 20:58   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

sdowney717, Like you I don’t like a toilet with a plastic base. If you're willing to spend the money you can still buy a bronze toilet. The Groco K is an example of this. Now manufactures are making toilets that are more like home toilets in that the bowl and base are one piece, vitreous china. Take a look at the Raritan Elegance toilets or the Jabsco 580XX series as examples of this.
http://www.ittflowcontrol.com/marine-and-rv/toilet-waste-systems/electric-toilets/58xx0-14-series-14-deluxe-flush-toilet.htm
The Groco HF-B falls in between the plastic and bronze toilets. It has a plastic pump but it is mounted on a bronze base.
Marine toilet manufactures make what boat builders want. A lot of boat builders want cheap toilets and bronze costs money.
When your repair fails, you can save a few bucks by saving the bowl and just buying a base / pump assembly.
Old 22-11-2011, 01:37   #57

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Please find a "pro" who really IS one...'cuz your marina is ripping you off!
Well after much time my pro rang me to state one of the hoses where on wrong yes I have been telling for months. so it may finally work its only been six months

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 04:39   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Now there's a good incentive to close the skin valves when leaving the boat.
Words out of my mouth. I would never leave sea cocks open if leaving the boat overnight or longer. A recipe for just this kind of situation.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, jabsco