Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2011, 16:58   #1

Jabsco Freshwater Pump

How does a freshwater pressure pump work to taps/showers on yachts my new jabsco (noisey) water pump wont turn off (used to) no adjustable pressure screw. any info steve
WALSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 17:47   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
Re: Jabsco Freshwater Pump

you might have some air in the system. The auto-shutoff feature is usually pressure based and this happened to me once. I ended up finding the "high point" in the system and cutting the line and installed a vent unit to vent the trapped air. Went from almost constantly running to practically shutting off as you did the water facuet.
Just a thought.
Old 27-08-2011, 17:55   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

What is the model number of the pump? Do you have an accumulator tank in the system? When you say it used to turn off, do you mean the old pump used to turn off or that the new pump used to turn off and now it doesn't?
Old 27-08-2011, 18:24   #4

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Avast, mine ran for 1 day until I realised that the water tank was empty!
Maybe its leaking into the bilge?
Keith.
Old 28-08-2011, 18:06   #5

no three tanks filled all up at marina still wont turn off new system installed two months ago have sailed over 500nm from installer sometimes turns off sometimes wont steve
Old 28-08-2011, 18:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdennyb View Post
you might have some air in the system. The auto-shutoff feature is usually pressure based and this happened to me once. I ended up finding the "high point" in the system and cutting the line and installed a vent unit to vent the trapped air. Went from almost constantly running to practically shutting off as you did the water facuet.
Just a thought.

Which side did you install vent before or after pump and where do you get a vent, new system installed 2 months ago but have sailed over 500 nm since installation works sometimes then does not steve
Old 28-08-2011, 18:27   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Is it one of the new variable speed Jabsco pumps or one with a pressure switch? If it is a variable speed pump and you have an accumulator tank in the system, remove the tank. The tank seems to confuse their little computer brain. If removing the tank doesn't cure your problem, you might just have a bad variable speed pump. You say it turns itself off sometimes. Does it ever come on when you are not drawing water? If it turns it self on when you don't expect it to, you have a leak or bad valves. What is the model number so I can know if it has a pressure switch or is a variable speed pump?
Old 28-08-2011, 19:07   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Fresh water pumps are positive displacement and therefore do not need to be primed. They will pump both air and water until you get a clear stream of water without bubbles. You do of course need an air vent going into the tank as water is displaced out of the tank.

If you know for a fact that the outlet side of the pump is reaching its designed shutoff pressure and it is still running then replace the pump. At less than a year old it should still be under warranty.

Pressure reservoirs are excellent in that they reduce the number of cycles that the pump solenoid turns off and on during its lifetime. Sometimes the first thing to die on a pump is the solenoid and quite often that can be from over use. Also, a pressure reservoir reduces the number of times you have to listen to a pump cycling off and on which can get annoying.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 19:45   #9

How do I test the shutoff pressure, think it needs to be 40 psi dont know much about fresh water pumps. Pump was a spare now about 18 months old could not stand the noise of the old jabsco so had it replaced with spare just as noisy if not louder. Sailed 500 nm from installer worked OK for three months do I need to pump up pressure tank. steve
Old 16-09-2011, 14:13   #10

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft
Hi All Over the summer I noticed that we had a problem with noise from a new pump. Then I realised that the older Johnson pump had been mounted on
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 14:24   #11

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft
Sorry I did it again, posted in mid sentence. What I was trying to say, was the Johnson pump was mounted on a wooden plata with rubber pads to isolate it from the hull. With the new instalation it was bolted directly to a bulkhead, allowing noise and vibration to travel throughout the boat. I'll return it to the original over the winter. Regards Joe
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 14:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALSH View Post
How does a freshwater pressure pump work to taps/showers on yachts my new jabsco (noisey) water pump wont turn off (used to) no adjustable pressure screw. any info steve
A good comment here was to check that your air vent to the tank supplying the water is not blocked.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco