Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2015, 11:04   #1

Boat: 2005 38' admiral executive cat
Isotherm rebuild vs Engle drop in

our 10 yr old Isotherm freezer gave out - developed a freon leak, then the compressor packed up. I'm considering two options. First is a Frigoboat Capri 50 compressor and evaporator plate that would be installed in the existing freezer box. I've been quoted $1,800 installed. The other option would be to remove the existing freezer (a job in itself), and replace it with an Engle drop in, which is supposed to be very efficient. The Engle is about half the volumn of the Isotherm, so we'd lose a lot of capacity. The Engle is only $995 for the unit, with free shipping, but would require removal the the existing freezer and installation. Any experience with Frigoboat freezers?? Are they reliable ??
skippermalolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 12:39   #2

Re: Isotherm rebuild vs Engle drop in

We love or Engel after 6+ years of nearly full time use. The smaller size is a plus in my mind since it takes so much less power. The minus is you can have either a fridge or freezer, but not both, unless you get two.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 13:00   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
We love or Engel after 6+ years of nearly full time use. The smaller size is a plus in my mind since it takes so much less power. The minus is you can have either a fridge or freezer, but not both, unless you get two.
They do a combo fridge/freezer model now that I own - it works like a champ.

Engel MT60 Combi Fridge & Freezer

I have the freezer section set to around -16/-20c and the it holds it easily, while the fridge section works perfectly.

Such an easy solution.

Robost as well - I didn't secure mine well enough and it got launched across the cabin one day in high winds. Put a dent in the floor but works as if nothing happened.
Old 17-07-2015, 14:12   #4

I want one!
Old 17-07-2015, 14:27   #5

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:

Where do you keep it? I'm moving aboard my 34 full time! Ice will no longer cut it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 21:41   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We considered removing our built in fridge when we found out that we could put two drop in Engel MT-45's next to each other in the space we have. They have versions that have attached or remote compressors to fit your space.

Instead we kept of regular fridge and added a portable mt-45 unit with an insulated travel cover. The energy usage they list in the brochures is spot on... we have been able to drop down the unit to about 2.75 (on a 1 to 5 scale) and still keep things frozen hard - but not ice cream. In florida we can keep ice cream frozen at position #4.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 01:02   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

That Engel is nice for its size love the power specs but its about the size of our freezer alone
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 07:36   #8

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippermalolo View Post

clip

First is a Frigoboat Capri 50 compressor and evaporator plate that would be installed in the existing freezer box. I've been quoted $1,800 installed.

clip

Any experience with Frigoboat freezers?? Are they reliable ??
Since nobody else is speaking up, I will.

I don't know what you mean by 'Frigoboat freezer' - unless it's a box which will hold stuff frozen while you use the rest of the heat removal for refrigeration.

That said, it was only due to configuration issues that I didn't go back with the same setup after my Frigoboat packed it in (long story covered in several other threads on CF).

I don't know what's involved with your issue, but I can tell you that my SeaFrost unit, which has now, a bit more than a year in, with considerably less time of use due to circumstance, already had its fir$t March Pump failure not long after the warranty ran out - a significant portion of a boat buck just by itself - and cost double what you've been quoted.

You haven't said what a tear-out and reconfiguration would cost. But the Engels have a huge reputation, and, if it HAS to be replaced, it should be a plug-and-play. This assumes, of course, that you do the Engel route.

Had my Frigoboat, even if it required a haulout to replace the keel cooler, been a plug-and-play, I'd have gone back with it. It would consume about half the amp hours that my new system does, which is key in our lives (to avoid running the Honda any more than absolutely necessary). In addition, regardless of cost in dead dinosaurs/sun rays, our FB system could pull at least 15°F colder than the SeaFrost. Your new system, if that's how you go, likely will also be a (relative) P&P for your dead one.

FWIW, FrigoboatInfo is a member of the CF, and will give you great support should you ever need it, long past the warranty period...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 07:45   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Have you costed out repairing the Isotherm?

A new compressor and mending the leak should not be too expensive
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 09:55   #10

I am quite pleased with my small Engle fridge OR freezer.
My Buddy Dave, put 2 in his 44. One as fridge and one as freezer. loved the system in a year long cruise.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 11:25   #11

I have read some good reviews on Edgestar as being comparable to Engel at a lower price.

I have no first hand knowledge.

12 Volt Coolers & Warmers :: CompactAppliance.com
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 12:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Where do you keep it? I'm moving aboard my 34 full time! Ice will no longer cut it.
We have the bulkhead mounted table. We removed the leaf and always keep the table down. We keep the Engel under it. We tie it there when venturing offshore.
Old 18-07-2015, 13:08   #13

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
We have the bulkhead mounted table. We removed the leaf and always keep the table down. We keep the Engel under it. We tie it there when venturing offshore.

Cool,,thanks. I've got same configuration, love it. I just have to see how I'm going to use the space living aboard.

Dude, you're killing it in the galley. Looks like a constant stream of goodies. Do you bake in the little force 10 propane? I need to get a stone or something for temp regulation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 17:29   #14

Boat: 2005 38' admiral executive cat

We also have an Isotherm front entry fridge that's working fine. The current freezer is large - much larger than the Engel drop in.
skippermalolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 17:31   #15

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

My new Engel is very noisy. Much more so than any of the older ones. It vibrates the whole boat, even sitting on a foam mat. Not impressed!

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
isotherm, rebuild