Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 13:42   #1

Isotherm Cruise 200 Refrigerator Questions

Hi all,

While I do own several antique canoes, this question pertains to an Isotherm fridge / freezer I bought for our vintage Airstream camper. I decided to buy a used Indel Marine Cruise 200 fridge for the trailer renovation, equipped with both 12/24v and 110v options. This all happened about a year ago, through a private seller in Florida (we're in Chicago).

Long story short, it's too large for our current planned layout. So having never used it... I'm now selling it.

However, upon plugging it in for the first time to make sure it works, there's no response. Compressor doesn't run, door light isn't on, and I've played with the thermostat dial inside to no avail.

After reading the PDF instructions, I can't determine if I may be missing a step? There don't seem to be any additional switches or buttons to press, and am hoping I don't have a dead fridge on my hands.

I did see one line in the manual stating,
"AC (100-240 volt):
The live and neutral wires must be connected to the terminals marked L and N on the electronic unit." Wondering if this means that plugging it into the wall is not enough, and these other wires must be connected somewhere as well. Confusing.

I have very little electrical knowledge, so any clues as to where they might've put a fuse, or why this might be happening would be most appreciated.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	isotherm.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	90952  
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 13:47   #2

Re: Isotherm Cruise 200 Refrigerator Questions

Here is a copy of the manual, in case a quick glance by someone more experienced than me would be helpful. I'd sure appreciate it!

http://www.fridgetech.co.nz/media/2420_ManualCR200.pdf
Old 05-11-2014, 14:26   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

Have you tried it with 12V also hooked up? Not familiar with this model, but could be the control module requires 12V even when it runs the compressor from AC? The wiring diagram shows the fan as being connected to the same 12V+ as the incoming supply, which makes me wonder if it won't run without that 12V for the fan/controls?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 15:48   #4

Dsanduril, that's a good suggestion.

Other than yanking the battery out of our car, I don't have a super easy way to test that theory... hopefully someone that has experience with these Danfoss powered units might know right off the bat.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:31   #5

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

you've got a trailer with no 12v? You don't have to take the battery out, just connect it with a wire or jumper cables. Maybe if connecting 12v is too inconvenient for you it might be easier to pay somebody to fix it.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
you've got a trailer with no 12v? You don't have to take the battery out, just connect it with a wire or jumper cables. Maybe if connecting 12v is too inconvenient for you it might be easier to pay somebody to fix it.
Thanks for the suggestion.
The trailer still has no wiring at all yet as it's mid-restoration. I can certainly do it - I'd just assumed someone here might be familiar enough with these to confirm that was my problem.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:54   #7

Quick update, I was able to get ahold of someone at Indel Webasto in Florida, and they graciously walked me through hooking up the compressor to the AC converter. The fridge is running just fine, and in fact does not need to be hooked to a 12v source to run.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:56   #8

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

So the problem was just wiring?
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 15:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
So the problem was just wiring?
The solution was embarrassingly simple - I didn't realize the AC converter isn't permanently wired to the compressor. Once I connected the red and white wires to their counterparts, it immediately sent power to the compressor. I'm slowly becoming more familiar with electrical issues, as well as plumbing, propane, and everything else we'll need in our trailer. Thanks again for your suggestions on this issue.

Tags
cruise, isotherm, refrigerator