Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2020, 19:07   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Is odorless really odorless?

I'm installing a new toilet on my boat and want to replace the hoses too. I looking at all the hoses available and the ones advertised as "odorless" are often twice as expensive. Are they actually odorless? Are they worth the extra cost?

Does anyone recommend a specific brand or supplier?
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 19:28   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Is odorless really odorless?

Pretty much all the hoses marketed as sanitation hose will be odor free for a period of time. The better ones will be odor free longer. I have had very good luck with Trident 101 and 102. Raritan SaniFlex has an excellent reputation and it is more flexible than the Trident 101 / 102.

The best way to extend the odor free life of any hose is to route it so sewage doesn’t puddle in it.
Old 04-10-2020, 19:35   #3
Marine Service Provider

There are hoses that are 100% odor permeation resistant. Yes, they are more expensive than single wall flex PVC #148, but worth the price if you only want to replace hoses ONCE. I recommend Raritan SaniFlex RaritanSaniFlex hose Not only has it proven the be 100% odor permeation resistant, but it has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking, which makes the job a LOT easier. Defender has it for < $10/ft. Raritan Sani / Flex Sanitation Hose at Defender

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:55   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I'm installing a new toilet on my boat and want to replace the hoses too. I looking at all the hoses available and the ones advertised as "odorless" are often twice as expensive. Are they actually odorless? Are they worth the extra cost?

Does anyone recommend a specific brand or supplier?
In my experience the "odorless" hoses are odorless, till they aren't! I have had the Trident 101 develop odor and people say they 'never" do that. But I have little doubt that the good hose lasts longer than the basic hose. Given just how much trouble and work it is to replace head hoses I am always use the better hose, both from an odor issue and an ease of working with it. For the ease of use I am nw always going to use the Raritan Sni-Flex hoe from now on on my boat.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:01   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

They are odor-less, not no- odor. They minimize permeation for a while
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:02   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

More important than the highest quality hose is the installation. Avoid horizontal runs, and avoid loops where waste will sit and collect. The higher quality hoses will be odorless longer in a bad installation.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:07   #7

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

I am with Hopcar and Peggie on the Raritam 101/102 - expensive, but after 5 years and still don't feel any odor, also I routed them to avoid puddles.
And when I bought them, I got good prices from Hopcar's old business BTW...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:23   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If you have room and straight runs try to put in as much sch 40 pvc pipe and minimize the amount of sanitation hose needed. Much easier on the wallet and the pvc doesn't permeate like the hose.
Did read the other day that alcohol based non-toxic antifreeze can make the sanitation hoses permeate faster. If this is true, would be best to stay away from using them in the head.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:40   #9

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
There are hoses that are 100% odor permeation resistant. Yes, they are more expensive than single wall flex PVC #148, but worth the price if you only want to replace hoses ONCE. I recommend Raritan SaniFlex RaritanSaniFlex hose Not only has it proven the be 100% odor permeation resistant, but it has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking, which makes the job a LOT easier. Defender has it for < $10/ft. Raritan Sani / Flex Sanitation Hose at Defender

--Peggie

Peggie,
Did you ever test the Vetus M sanitary hose vs. the Raritan? It looks similar w/the inside black liner (??butyl?? not stated by Vetus).
Looked at the defender link above for the 1.5" and they claimed a 10yr. warranty while the info from Raritan only gave a 5 yr odor permeation warranty. Just shows you need to look at all the info to get the correct info.

Edt: Think I answered my own question. It appears the inside of the Raritan is butyl rubber while the Vetus is SBR (styrene butadiene rubber) From the info I could find, the BR has approx. 1/5 the air permeation as SBR, therefore are not the same (I'm going w/air permeation = odor permeation).
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:25   #10

Boat: Cheer Men PT41

Raritan Saniflex is the way to go - take Peggy's advice and yes Defender was the cheapest supplier I found.
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:48   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

We have plain Vetus toilet hoses. There is no smell. Ours are old.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
If you have room and straight runs try to put in as much sch 40 pvc pipe and minimize the amount of sanitation hose needed. Much easier on the wallet and the pvc doesn't permeate like the hose.
Did read the other day that alcohol based non-toxic antifreeze can make the sanitation hoses permeate faster. If this is true, would be best to stay away from using them in the head.
If that is true, then how do you winterize?
Old 05-10-2020, 09:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Peggie,
Did you ever test the Vetus M sanitary hose vs. the Raritan? It looks similar w/the inside black liner (??butyl?? not stated by Vetus).
Looked at the defender link above for the 1.5" and they claimed a 10yr. warranty while the info from Raritan only gave a 5 yr odor permeation warranty. Just shows you need to look at all the info to get the correct info.

Edt: Think I answered my own question. It appears the inside of the Raritan is butyl rubber while the Vetus is SBR (styrene butadiene rubber) From the info I could find, the BR has approx. 1/5 the air permeation as SBR, therefore are not the same (I'm going w/air permeation = odor permeation).
I just order the Vetus hose. Hoping for the best. Either way, it should be better than the 40+ year old hose that is there now.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:43   #14

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

question on the no puddle comments. My holding tank is mounted against the hull side. The output of the toilet leads into the top of the tank. There is no way to not have a place to puddle. Should the hose should be run with the toilet outlet being the lowest point adn therefore the puddle point?

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:56   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

What Peggy said. I've tested a bunch, and there are several hoses that are either perm-proof or exceptionally resistant, but Rairitan Saniflex is MUCH easier to work with.

No question. It's worth it.

[My one comment is that it is so easy to bend it can be kinked if you go too far. Use a little common sense and don't force it. Easy turns are always better.]

Tags
odor