Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2011, 17:32   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: International Gas Fittings

If you intend to switch to camping gaz, then I suggest you buy the appropriate camping gaz regulator as well and plumb into the low pressure side of the gas system. Given that the camoing gaz clyinder with no exchange is about 60 euros, the regulator will seem cheap!

Dave
Old 14-04-2011, 08:45   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by careka View Post
Its not only the fittings, its also the pressure,
some use 30millibar, and some 50 millibar, that will also make a problem with the burner in the stove. it has to be adusted.

isent it fun
Where is it an issue?

We sailed round without any changes / adjustment to the stove ever. We used propane / butane whichever was available locally.

So, my question is: what stove is the vulnerable type, so that I can avoid the mistake when getting a new one for our ship.

Ours is something labelled LP Pacific (today probably Plastimo EU version).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 09:15   #18
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Where is it an issue?

We sailed round without any changes / adjustment to the stove ever. We used propane / butane whichever was available locally.

So, my question is: what stove is the vulnerable type, so that I can avoid the mistake when getting a new one for our ship.

In a lot of cases most stoves will handle the higher pressures of propane ( and the higher burning temps.. Some stoves reccomend a change of nozzles ( mine do) to switch from propane to butane.

Mostly its works, sometimes it doesnt.

DAve
Old 14-04-2011, 09:16   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Saucy, go simple, go kero, infinite number of container and refilling options, just an around better product - you soon get the hang of lighting it, the smell can become your friend and one always has time to burn when cruising (weak pun intended).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 09:30   #20

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Where is it an issue?

b.
It will work, but not as good as it normaly will.
a burner with 30 millibar pressure also gets blown out faster if wind comes down to it, compered to a burner with 50 millibar.
But it works, or let us say, the gas will burn without adjusting the burners.
I dont know how many country`s uses 50 miliibar, Norway do, and i think most off europe use 30 millibar.
Its more importent to have a gass alarm if leaks happens, and a good el. shut off valve.

Geir ove
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 09:45   #21
Nearly an old salt

The EU is supoosed to be standarising on 30Mb for both propane and butane, buts as with everthing regional variances abound as yet.

Quote:
Saucy, go simple, go kero,
yeah right try finding kerosene in mainland Europe

dave
Old 14-04-2011, 09:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The EU is supoosed to be standarising on 30Mb for both propane and butane, buts as with everthing regional variances abound as yet.

yeah right try finding kerosene in mainland Europe

dave
When I last checked, mainland Europe was awash with airports but maybe things have changed and they don't fly those big jetliners there anymore
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 14-04-2011, 10:00   #23
Nearly an old salt

of course, I forget , yes of course wander into the major airports , waving a tin can and babbling about cooking your sausages etc. do it , please try that

ps. of course you have a tin can that takes a 2" nozzle and 100gph flow rate, but sure of course you do!.

dave
Old 14-04-2011, 10:07   #24

Well pilots seem to manage OK, perhaps its a uniform thing....
Anyway, I guess Saucy isn't really going to convince HWMO to go kero...

Now where is that tongue in cheek emoticon!
Old 14-04-2011, 10:12   #25
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Well pilots seem to manage OK,
wow, i didnt think they cooked their sausages in the cockpit, with a bit of Kero, but hey you learn something new every day

dave
Old 14-04-2011, 10:19   #26

Yep, they do, much better than the standard airline fare and I have even heard they brew their own coffee...

Not sure how to relate this back to cruising but as Saucy is a new mod and the OP, she might let it slide
Old 14-04-2011, 10:29   #27
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Yep, they do, much better than the standard airline fare and I have even heard they brew their own coffee...
thats explains all those locked cockpit doors in teh last few years. stop the passangers getting to the home cooked stuff.

As to teh massive thread drift, gas fittings are boring
Dave
Old 14-04-2011, 10:41   #28
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
While EuroNorm EN1949 exists to standardise all LPG gases to 30mb ( propane or butane), its still a fact of life that pressure in european clyinders varies quite significantly, so you may need a local regulator as well.
I'm getting confused now, isn't the 30mB after the regulator??
Can you get different pressures in the cylinders? Can't see how that works ignoring temperature and gas mix. The grp bottles i use now are 80psi with UK propane, they were about 50psi i think with grenada propane/butane mix, at least that's what the gauge between the bottle & reg says.

With propane the flame seems a tiny bit less than camping gaz but can't tell the difference day to day, maybe if I measured the length of time to boil a cuppa it might show up but I can't tell.
hopefully will be much easier borrowing a bottle to decant than trying to find a friendly local with a residents card to buy a new bottle or finding a place where they just don't care.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 11:14   #29
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

Not sure how to relate this back to cruising but as Saucy is a new mod and the OP, she might let it slide
Erm, it's all over my head... Me I know how to flick the switch, fill the line and boil the kettle. If the gas bottle things doesn't work out, then I'll drink water instead....

Quote:
thats explains all those locked cockpit doors in teh last few years. stop the passangers getting to the home cooked stuff.

As to teh massive thread drift, gas fittings are boring
Dave
Was there thread drift? I didn't spot any - you'll have to help out the poor liddle new moderator out a liddle here and tell me where. No don't, actually.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 12:26   #30

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
I'm getting confused now, isn't the 30mB after the regulator??
Can you get different pressures in the cylinders? Can't see how that works ignoring temperature and gas mix. The grp bottles i use now are 80psi with UK propane, they were about 50psi i think with grenada propane/butane mix, at least that's what the gauge between the bottle & reg says.

That is the reasons for the regulator. It provides a low constant pressure (0.5psi approx) from a higher pressure in the tank. The tank pressure changes with fill sources, temperature and amount in the tank. From the time you fill your tank and start using the propane the pressure starts to drop. Different countries have different gas mix as well as different regulations as to allowable fill amounts. If they will fill your tank (depends on whether or not they accept the type of tank you have)and so long as they stay below the pressure your tank is rated for the only thing you should have to worry about is tank adapters for fill up. However.....