Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2011, 14:12   #1

Boat: ip31
Installing Macerator on Island Packet 31

we sail an island packet 31. our toilet drains to a y-valve that allows direct dumping to the sea or to our holding tank. the only way to drain our holding tank is to have a pump-out. we want to re-plumb the system so we can drain the holding tank through our hull and maintain the ability to drain the tank with a pump-out. we plan to install a macerator in the system. we'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with this sort of modification.
jackbillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 20:43   #2

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
Eliminate the Y valve by connecting the head hose directly to the tank.
T into the pumpout line and attach macerator intake. Suggest you install valve between T and macerator.
Reduce pipe above thru hull to 1 inch to accept macerator outlet hose.

The above is how I did the install on my IP 37
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 21:41   #3

Boat: ip31
Re: Installing Macerator on Island Packet 31

thanks, finistere. i was hoping i could do it that way. i wonder about the type of hose i should use between the 't' and the macerator. i am concerned it will collapse under the negative pressure of a pump-out.
jackbillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 21:54   #4
Marine Service Provider

Unless you plan to put the boat on inland waters where you'll never be able to flush directly overboard, I wouldn't remove the existing y-valve that lets you flush overboard when at sea beyond the 3 mile limit...I'd put a second y-valve--NOT just tee or wye--in the tank discharge line...then the macerator and vented loop, teed into the existing thru-hull.

I'd use Trident 101 sanitation hose...it's a double walled hose that's been on the market for nearly 20 years without a single reported odor permeation failure. No need to worry about pumpout suction collapsing a hose anywhere in the system unless you allow the tank vent to become blocked and use a VERY strong pumpout...and if you do that, the tank is more likely to implode before any sanitation hose would collapse.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 21:57   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I think this is extremely interesting but can't follow it without a diagram. Anyone up for providing a picture worth a thousand words.
kind regards,
Old 15-09-2011, 22:59   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

My toilet discharge goes straight to the tank with no direct overboard option, but I rarely spend much time in open water. The tank discharge has a tee. One leg goes to a deck pump out fitting the other to a Jabsco macerator pump. When I'm offshore I flip the switch on the macerator and empty the tank. It's a very simple system. Since you are already plumbed for a direct overboard discharge, your seacock is probably 1-1/2". If you install a macerator pump the discharge is going to be only 1". Jabsco sells a 1-1/2" to 1" adapter, in fact I think the macerator pump comes with the adapter. I think it would be a neater installation if you used an 1-1/2" diaphram pump instead of the macerator.
Here's a link to the type of pump I suggest: Jabsco 12v Waste Pump 1-1/2" - 50890-1000
I agree with Peggy on the Trident Sanitation Hose.
Old 16-09-2011, 07:37   #7

Boat: islandpacket

If your IP31 is as old as mine one thing lead to another. My head thu hull was completely frozen and I could not understand why the two hoses, pump waste all that way to return to the tank?, how many gallons of stuff just set there. I had to replace my holding tank and the thru hull. I replaced the tank with a ronca and the thru hull with a new thru hull, flange adapter and a single marine ball valve and eliminated that double one. I also installed a new head with a house hold bowl same brand as original but the larger seat. Fit just fine. I then replaced all the 1 1/2 sanitary hoses with new. Most of my sailing is coastal and did not want to accidentally leave it to pump overboard, so this is the way I put this together. I piped everything to the top of the holding tank, I did not want a pipe to break off from the holding tank and spill an entire tank again. I ran the discharge of the head under the sink then turned it back to the top of the holding tank under the V-berth. then installed a dip tube in the tip of the holding tank as a discharge. This line goes back to under the sink where I installed a Y valve and connected this to the deck pump out and a single line along under the starboard settee to the thru hull next to the nav station. Just prior to the discharge I mounted a whale manual sanitary pump.

The way the whole thing works is everything goes from the head to the holding tank so no accidental discharges. From there thru the Y-valve to the deck pump out. If I am off shore I turn the Y-valve towards this the thru hull, open the the valve then manually pump the whale pump to empty the holding tank, takes less than a minuet. I did install a electronic tank level with the panel above the head under the port hole so it can be checked with every use. It's only 14 gallions and fill quickley when the grand kids are on the boat It works very well for me. No accidents, no clogs and no problems. If you need more info PM me.
Old 16-09-2011, 12:36   #8

Here in Hawaii there is only one pumpout station as far as I know of and its located at the Ala Wai in Honolulu which is a 180 mile sail from here. I would not be using it very often. Most of my use would be directly overboard with a holding tank as backup while in port. Holding tank needs to be emptied while at sea. Would the macerator pump (if used) be before the tank or at the tank discharge?
kind regards,
Old 16-09-2011, 19:46   #9
Marine Service Provider

Would the macerator pump (if used) be before the tank or at the tank discharge?

Think about it...if you wanted to use a pump (in this case a macerator pump) to pull contents OUT of a tank, would you put the pump in a line that goes INTO the tank...or would you put it in the line coming OUT of the tank???

If you also want to be able to flush the toilet directly overboard, the toilet pump is all the pump you need. Put a y-valve in the toilet discharge line that provides a choice between flushing directly overboard or into the tank.
Old 16-09-2011, 21:21   #10

Well yes that makes sense. Guess I was thinking at what point do I want it macerated.
kind regards,
Old 16-09-2011, 21:40   #11
Marine Service Provider

Guess I was thinking at what point do I want it macerated.

Actually it doesn't need to be macerated. Solids are 75% water to start with AND they're broken up when they go through the toilet pump, so they dissolve very quickly in the tank...and unless you're using the wrong TP, it dissolves if it even gets damp...so the only thing a tank discharge pump needs to do is push the tank contents out the thru-hull.
Old 16-09-2011, 23:41   #12

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

Lavac & macerators do not work together. The diaphram pump is the best choice. I used 3 "y" valves but the flow direction had to be remarked for one pump to do all. I pre charge the holding tank with blue loo & fresh water.

Regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 01:09   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i would keep the direct from head option. are you going to put in a new holding tank? a foolproof design is to have 2 outlets in the tank .. one for deck pumpout and one for overboard.
Old 17-09-2011, 12:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Guess I was thinking at what point do I want it macerated.

Actually it doesn't need to be macerated. Solids are 75% water to start with AND they're broken up when they go through the toilet pump, so they dissolve very quickly in the tank...and unless you're using the wrong TP, it dissolves if it even gets damp...so the only thing a tank discharge pump needs to do is push the tank contents out the thru-hull.
That's good to know. Thanks.
Old 24-09-2011, 21:26   #15

Boat: 33' Pearson

I see in this thread that someone writes that Lavac and macerators do not work together. We have just purchased a boat with a Lavac and a macerator. The macerator - the previous owner told us - had not ever been used. We tried it and it did not work.

What do you know that we do not?

Tags
island packet