Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2020, 07:53   #46

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Installing a washing machine - which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Splendide Disassembly for install? Has anyone done this? We have a Candy UK model washing machine currently that works really well but is 50hz only and Im in the process of moving everything to 60hz. I have 18.5" wide doorways to get through and the splendide I believe only goes down to 21.5". Is there a way to make it narrower for install but partial disassembly?
I replaced the washer/dryer on my Catalina 470, and the doorways are very narrow too, pretty much the same width as yours. I had to remove 3 doors and their doorframes, and then remove as much as possible from the washer/dryer to get the old one out, and the new one in. The new one is a Splendide 7100XC. To get it in I removed the front door, top panel, knobs, and also the concrete weights on the drum (just to make it easier to manage). It just barely fit sideways through the doorway, and I fortunately did not have to cut anything as I'd feared.

I looked long and hard to find a unit that would fit, and the 7100XC was the only one I could find.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 08:16   #47

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

My doorways are about the same at 18". No way I could get a 7100 to fit. I'm using a 2100 which is about 17", but no longer made. Based on what I see for the 2100, there is no practical way to take it apart to make it narrow. If you were to completely remove all the machinery from the cabinet, and took off the top, bottom, and back, then cut the cabinet,maybe you could wedge it in. Such a disassembly would be a significant task, with a high risk of permanent damage. Download the parts manual and you will get a better idea of what is involved.

If it were me, I would get a 50hz inverter dedicated to the machine you have. If you don't use the dry cycle, the power draw is minimal.
Quote:
Splendide Disassembly for install? Has anyone done this? We have a Candy UK model washing machine currently that works really well but is 50hz only and Im in the process of moving everything to 60hz. I have 18.5" wide doorways to get through and the splendide I believe only goes down to 21.5". Is there a way to make it narrower for install but partial disassembly?
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 08:17   #48

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Gotta answer another Wauquiez, even if it's a half-boat

Most things that run on 50Hz will run pretty well on 60Hz. It's going the other way where you run into problems, as the slower AC can saturate the steel around motor windings & such that are expecting a faster flux movement. 50Hz requires more steel for motors & transformers & such, but that excess steel isn't a problem for 60Hz.

It's very unlikely that you'll be able to take the drum apart. It has to be waterproof, so it's usually a single welded unit. I'd measure the outside of the drum, but it's doubtful you'll get it through your doorways. But as I said, it should work just fine.

We have big f'c's'le hatches, 24" or 60cm on a side. So we can *just* get a small automatic washing machine down those hatches. So I built it a bit of a shelf, & use it there. And BTW, some of our machines have been nominally 50Hz, & we drive them with 60Hz with no problems.
Old 31-10-2020, 16:43   #49

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We have a splendid and we load that sucker up. We do a lot more than just a few shirts and shorts but don't wash our heavy blankets.

We also find the drying function works great if you keep the vent clear but we usually just hang it out to dry so we can start on a 2nd load.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing