Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2020, 11:13   #1

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38
Inherited Older VM Little Wonder

Similar to Proud Harrys thread. The boat had a modular Little Wonder unit, 12v. Think it has been unused and neglected. I replaced the food grade water lines, carbon and 5u filters. Changed the hi press. pump oil. flushed the unit, cleaned the membranes with the supplied chemical cartridges, then flushed again.

So far, so good. Today, I made a batch of artificial ocean, flushed, then slowly (i think) started opening the hi press bypass valve. No leaks until then! the guage blew, spewing salty water everywhere.

I’m off to the hardware store to get a fitting to cap off where the guage was, so can flush the membranes until figure out how to proceed.

Should I get another hi press. guage and go from there? I’m not even sure what shape the (2) membranes are in.

Thanks for any input!
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 11:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Inherited Older VM Little Wonder

Cheapest place to buy a hp gauge is ebay, maybe Amazon. You want a liquid filled gauge that lasts longer. You don't want to leave salt water in the membranes for longer than a couple days. I always flush with fresh. If the membranes were pickled they should be ok. When they get old, they make less water and/or the water has a higher tds.

There's lots of info on the web about membrane care and cleaning. Probably Youtube videos, too.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 12:36   #3

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38
Re: Inherited Older VM Little Wonder

Lepke,
Appreciate the feedback. Ace hardware is just down the street. I was able to cap where the guage was and flush the system same day (today). Will check for compatible hi pressure guage. worth a shot I guess.
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote