Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2009, 16:49   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 375
In-Line Bilge Pumps

My Boat has a Par Model 37202 bilge pump installed in the engine compartment. A hose runs to it from the bilge which is located near the mast. It makes lots of noise and barely works so it's time to replace it. I've never had a good experience with Jabsco rebuild kits so I'd like to go for a new one. (Whenever I replace some of the valves and gaskets, something usually leaks.)

Apparently, most bilge pumps these days are supposed to fit directly in the bilge. If I remove the automatic bilge pump switch and the strainer that is in there now, maybe I can fit one in there. The bilge has a small square shaped hole where the pump could fit but I don't know if there would be enough room for the hose which runs out to the side on most new bilge pumps.

The automatic bilge pumps seem to have a much higher capacity than the diaphgragm pump I have which is rated at 4.5GPM. Are they truly better or would the rated output go down tremendously because they have to lift the water out of the bilge and up about four feet probably to get to the throughhull?

Or should I just get another in-line type pump? Defender sells both the Jabsco pump that I have and a flojet bilge pump which seems smaller and cheaper.
Joe500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 17:14   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe500 View Post
My Boat has a Par Model 37202 bilge pump installed in the engine compartment. A hose runs to it from the bilge which is located near the mast. It makes lots of noise and barely works so it's time to replace it. I've never had a good experience with Jabsco rebuild kits so I'd like to go for a new one. (Whenever I replace some of the valves and gaskets, something usually leaks.)

Apparently, most bilge pumps these days are supposed to fit directly in the bilge. If I remove the automatic bilge pump switch and the strainer that is in there now, maybe I can fit one in there. The bilge has a small square shaped hole where the pump could fit but I don't know if there would be enough room for the hose which runs out to the side on most new bilge pumps.

The automatic bilge pumps seem to have a much higher capacity than the diaphgragm pump I have which is rated at 4.5GPM. Are they truly better or would the rated output go down tremendously because they have to lift the water out of the bilge and up about four feet probably to get to the throughhull?

Or should I just get another in-line type pump? Defender sells both the Jabsco pump that I have and a flojet bilge pump which seems smaller and cheaper.

Rule pumps give output performance in their manual with two different head heighths. I've also seen manuals giving their performance for two different voltages, as in charging and normal battery voltage. My boat came with a diaphragm pump because it was nearly impossible to place a centrifugal pump in the bottom of the bilge. I use it to pump out the bottom of the bilge and have a centrifugal pump I added higher in the bilge where it's accessable for more significant water entry. Don't be fooled that these are big enough to be disaster pumps though.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...html#post61692

centrifugal pump manual showing de-rating of pump with head:
http://www.rule-industries.com/files/itemdoct25871.pdf

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 17:26   #3

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Check on the Whale Gulper 220: Marine : Whale Pumps 12V Henderson Plumbing Bilge Diaphragm Submersible Pressure Water Systems Marine Caravan RV Shower Drain Portable Sanitation Purging Groundwater Solutions Voltage Electric For the occasional bilge emptying, for normal use, these are great!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 17:37   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
does not compute

I just checked the Defender prices. That's a $168 pump, and it probably only needs an $18 diaphram to be good as new. Even if you pop for the entire service kit ($63) you still save $105 over the cost of replacement.

I've been rebuilding Jabsco pumps for years, and have never had a problem with leakage, et cetera. Once you disassemble everything, you need to clean it thoroughly. At that point the pump should be as good as new.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump