Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 13:52   #1
TPG

Boat: Admiral 40
Hunter 380 holding tank replacement

Hey guys - looking for advice and info for replacing our waste holding tank on our Hunter 380. I am assuming that the fuel tank beside it would need to be removed at the same time, and access fo these is in the aft cabin.

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 14:02   #2

Re: Hunter 380 holding tank replacement

The European style holding tank mounted high , underneath the deck rather than in the bilge , is a superior small craft solution

If you have any X-yachts or other high quality euro boats in your harbour ask to have a look at the installation
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 14:50   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPG View Post
Hey guys - looking for advice and info for replacing our waste holding tank on our Hunter 380. I am assuming that the fuel tank beside it would need to be removed at the same time, and access fo these is in the aft cabin.

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.
Ask t the Hunter Owner site, you most likely aren't going to an answer here
Old 08-03-2020, 14:56   #4
Marine Service Provider

Ronco Plastics (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) Ronco Plastics marine Tanks is your best source for a tank. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. There are retailers who sell Ronco tanks, but Ronco sells direct for a much lower price...and they're great to work with.

And if you try, you can find much better locations for it than where Hunter put it...closer to the toilet with a lot simpler plumbing.

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 15:33   #5

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

i know nothing about these tanks--but I assume they are metal.

I like plastic for waste tanks. Plastic is not affected by the acids that can and do form in such tanks, and a leak is not a catastrophe just a bloody nuisance. Leaks in plastic heavy duty y tanks properly secured with tie downs and good foundations are unlikely to fracture or get punctured. They have no electrical conductivity either--and do not corrode by differential aeration.

It is possible to make one's own tankage out of plywood as a strong permanent mold and to line it with bonded-in fibreglass made using epoxy resin.

I seriously doubt that the stern is the best place for tankage. It is one of the places where there is more than usual movement--somewhere closer to midships, such as abaft the chain locker is a better location. I usually like the heads to be close to the waste tankage and any pump out, siphon-breakers and air-lock carbon filters are more easily accessed..
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank, hunter, men