Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2011, 16:41   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaasun71
Don't charge for it.
Now that's funny! Hahaha
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 18:27   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: How to Make My Head Legal ?

Let's play sea lawyer. Or, gee, why not see what the USCG itself has PUBLISHED AS ACCEPTABLE?

"
No discharge zone. While operating a vessel in an EPA designated no discharge zone, flow-through devices are only permitted if adequately secured to prevent discharges of all treated and untreated sewage. For example, closing the seacock and padlocking, using a non-releasable wire tie, or removing the seacock handle are considered to be sufficient in most cases. For short voyages, locking the door to the head with a padlock or a door handle key lock is another acceptable method. For vessels that routinely operate in no discharge zones a Type III MSD is recommended. For more information see 33 CFR 159.7 and 40 CFR Part 140. "
From USCG Systems Engineering Division (CG-5213)

Yes, let's try to grasp this concept. It doesn't matter who thinks otherwise, the USCG has officially documented "locking the compartment door" is sufficient to secure whatever is inside it.

Anyone got a problem with what "secure" means, you direct them to the Commandant, USCG. A tie wrap, baling wire, or padlock on the seacock itself is no more secure than a LOCK ON THE DOOR.

You think it is? I got tools that say elsewise.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 18:43   #33

Boat: Tartan 30

Calm down sailor!

I was just saying that a locked door will invite suspicion... Of course, if you unlock the door for them to inspect and everything is kosher, then it's all good... But In My Opinion, it's much simpler to put wire around the seacock and let them see it in plain sight. Afterall, the head contains valuable storage space that you may or may not want inconveniently padlocked. Sure it's 'secure' per their instructions, but as with many laws, and actual situations, it may not the solution... Just another option for people to consider.
Old 18-09-2011, 18:48   #34

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Let's play sea lawyer. Or, gee, why not see what the USCG itself has PUBLISHED AS ACCEPTABLE?. . .
All fine and good, but you might just end up playing "sea lawyer" with "Bubba" the deputy of the local Sheriff who has a different idea. Eventually you will probably win the argument, but will probably have to endure some significant hassles along the way, not to mention trying to explain something "simple/logical" to you but beyond Bubba's grasp.
- - I prefer to just keep it simple and if there is no toilet in the broken seacock head, there is nothing to get into a potential disagreement about.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 18:49   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"it's much simpler to put wire around the seacock and let them see it in plain sight. "
Right, but since the OP made it very clear up front that THE SEACOCK IS FROZEN OPEN AND CANNOT BE SECURED, your simpler idea won't work here.

Oh shucks, Osiris. Bubba cain't unnastand the letter from the USCG, I'll be glad to call the duty officer on the phone and get the word of the lord firmly impressed into Bubba's head.

At a certain point, it behooves us all to get our hands dirty, help pick up the trash (and they say the worst trash is white trash) and get it removed from whatever uniform his pappa got him into.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head