Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2012, 17:23   #1
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
How to Keep Food Frozen in Adler Barbour Freezer?

I have a fridge freezer combo with the side mount freezer box with open top. I'm having trouble getting food in the box to stay frozen, especially at the top. Consequently I quite often end up with leaking goo in the bottom of my fridge. I'm thinking that maybe this should be covered?

How do you guys keep your food frozen in a system like this?
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 19:04   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: How to Keep Food Frozen in Adler Barbour Freezer?

i have just the opposite problem with my adler barbour. food gets frozen solid and i
have to defrost to take anything out.

i have the adler barbour super cold machine with the smaller vertical box. i keep two thermometers in the box - one in the fridge, one on the freezer - to make sure everythings working fine, and it is. my box is pretty well insulated and i keep the thermostat set to max.

assuming your adler barbour is working correctly it's possible that your box is not insulated well enough. you can buy a cheap fridge thermometer for about five bucks. you might try that to see just what temperature it really is in the box. my experience is that most production boats have poorly insulated boxes.....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 19:13   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Insulate the freezer section, i.e. the evaporator with a layer of bubble wrap or similar.
This will allow the freezer section to get cooler by slowing the transfer of "cold".
It will increase your electrical use by a small amount, but will keep stuff frozen.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 06:12   #4
Marine Service Provider

Questions when performance is concerned

Listed below are variable conditions I need to know when evaluating a reported refrigerator’s performance or energy usage report as many of them as possible:
1. Size of refrigerator box or boxes in cubic ft.
2. Controlled temperature in each box. Where in box was temperature recorded?
3. Manufacturer of refrigeration unit and compressor size.
4.Evaporator or plate manufacture with model number and size.
5. Describe in detail where frost exists on evaporator frost should cover 90% of evaporator’s surface area. Is there Frost on refrigerant line outside refrigerator, if so how far does it extend on line toward compressor.
6. After refrigeration has run for several hours and box is cold Record and report one complete cycle with thermostat set to 3 or 4. Cycle time starts when cmpressor starts running till the next time it starts up again. Record both running and off time. Example, compressor started 8:00 it stopped at 8:18 and restarted at 8:27
7. If the unit has a variable speed compressor what speed was it running at?
8. What is current draw (amperage) after compressor has run for more than 10 minutes?
9. Describe compressor condensing unit installation and how temperature of condenser cooling medium is controlled during this performance test.
10. Refrigeration units are designed for maximum performance with standard day 70 temperatures degree F. If condensing unit is air cooled what was average air temp interring condenser? If water cooled what was approx raw water temperature?
11. Latitude location and date when daily energy readings were recorded.
12. Approximant amount of insulation and type.
13. What is temperature of insulation’s exterior surface? Does condensation ever form on box’s exterior?
14. Was box kept closed on the day performance was recorded?
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 06:48   #5

Obviously Kollman is the expert, but I find using a blanket, bubble wrap or the ingenious sheets of little pillows that freeze on top of the food holds the cold below. Also I freeze all my meat ahead of time and vacuum seal it before taking it to the boat for the season. We generally carry four to five months of frozen meat aboard and my top blanket keeps everythign frozen through the cAribbean heat.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, freezer