Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2013, 05:25   #1

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now
How Much Water in the Toilet?

I was curious about how much water do ya run through the toilet system (macerator) into the waste tank after taking a dump? I prolly used about a gallon or so after my morning constitutional. Is that too much or what? Is it better to used fresh water or saltwater, or do ya mix it up, one day salt, the next fresh?

Out sailing I use saltwater from the intake, out here on the mooring I used fresh as its easy access to fresh water, or does it really matter where **** is concerned?
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 05:37   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I use enough to get everything out of the hose. You could calculate te volume per stroke of your pump and the volume of your hose, pump the appropriate number of times........or just pump till you feel clear!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 05:38   #3

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Depends on your system, enough to clear the hoses all the way to the holding tank. Sea water is fine if you use it frequently, but will stink bad if you leave it set unused for any length of time. I always pump freshwater through the system when I leave out on a job. Been just putting water in head and flushing, but should do it from a bucket with the hose off the seacock to clear the supply line too. The head smells great when I get home, but the first few flushes can be impressive until the supply line is cleaned out!
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 05:52   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: How Much Water in the Toilet?

Solid waste is not nearly as problematic for your plumbing as the liquid waste is, but of course you want to get the lines cleared out and you don't want any kind of waste to stand in the pipes. If you're pumping into a holding tank, however, you will be balancing the question of your tank capacity.

Do you know how much you have to pump to completely clear the lines? Neither do I. But I always pump straight out (tidal waters), so I pump a lot to be sure, and don't worry about any tank capacity. If I were pumping into a tank, I would figure out how much is exactly the right amount of pumping. Full holding tanks are a PITA.

Salt or fresh doesn't matter with solid waste. With liquid -- fresh water doesn't react and is better.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 06:02   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: How Much Water in the Toilet?

I was going to jump in here with a long lecture on the importance of clearing the hose, but I don't have too. You guys covered it very well. Someone has been reading Peggie Hall's book.

Tags
water