Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 21:17   #1

How much water do we need?

I'm looking at a boat equipped with a Katadyn Powersurvivor 40e. It's output is 1.5gal/h or 5.7L/h drawing 4A/h. We're aiming to run the engine, well, never. So, the low power requirement is attractive. With a maximum output of 36 gallons/day or 136 litres/day it seems like it'll be enough for our little family of three but I wonder: how much is a reasonable estimate of water consumption while cruising. I'd like to have an idea of how much the thing will be running and what the cost will actually be in our power budget. Thanks everyone!
tmoandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 21:35   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Re: How much water do we need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoandj View Post
I'm looking at a boat equipped with a Katadyn Powersurvivor 40e. It's output is 1.5gal/h or 5.7L/h drawing 4A/h. We're aiming to run the engine, well, never. So, the low power requirement is attractive. With a maximum output of 36 gallons/day or 136 litres/day it seems like it'll be enough for our little family of three but I wonder: how much is a reasonable estimate of water consumption while cruising. I'd like to have an idea of how much the thing will be running and what the cost will actually be in our power budget. Thanks everyone!
That's not much output and its unlikely you'll be able run it all day - if you're running it from solar you can have about 6 hrs / day useful power if you're in a sunny area...that would give you only just over 30 litres a day. I doubt that will be enough for a family of three, unless you were extremely frugal.

On our last boat we had a watermaker that drew 8A and produced 30 l/hr. We ran that about 2 hours a day for the two of us and it was enough for showers, washing, cooking....we tried to keep our tanks full all the time.
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 22:23   #3

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Others will come in but whilst a cheap watermaker it will struggle to provide enough water.

Most always upgrade to a higher capacity watermaker.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 00:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

spend $100 on a rain catcher and some water containers for the cockpit, it rains every day in the tropics..............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:58   #5

Boat: Southcoast 36

Two of us aboard and we use somewhere in the order of 60-70 litres per day. Call it 65l which is around 17usgal. That's for drinking, cooking, washing up and a hot shower each.

Wife is a handwash junkie and loves a shower but I knew that before we set out so installed as high capacity Watermaker we could afford. I didn't want to be constantly thinking about having enough water. Sure we could use less but we live here full time. Before we started cruising we watched a husband and wife lugging jerry cans full of water down the beach to their dinghy and thought bugger that!

We ended up with one of the Cruise RO 30 gal/ hr models that we run from the 2kva honda Genset. We run it every 3 days for 1.5-2 hrs to keep the tanks topped off. Couldn't be happier so far.

I spent quite a bit of time working out which way to go for us. Basically needed to consider all the boat systems and energy needs and what our priorities were. Got an energy budget done early on a spreadsheet so I could easily model various options. Recommend that as a first step.

A hot shower was a must have for the wife (and it is pretty damn good I must say). I didn't want to be running the main engine for battery charging or water heating. Gas water heating was problematic. We wanted a small Genset aboard anyway.

Settled on upgrading the solar which totally takes care of our battery charging and went with a bit bigger Genset. That runs a 6 gal 1500w electric hot water heater for half an hour a day during shower time then every 3 days for a couple of hours for watermaking. Whenever the Genset runs we charge laptops, iPads, phones etc however we can charge all those from 12v.

So far so good and pretty happy with our setup. You will never have too much water or too much power!

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:11   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
In reality, only you can answer the question "how much water is enough?" As someone else mentioned, the watermaker you have will probably only be producing 6-8 hours per day so figure 9-12 gal.

Think about your habits - will you have a salt water rinse system in the kitchen? Cuts down a lot on fresh water usage. Will you be using a solar shower? Meaning get some salt water shampoo, and wash in the sea, then a quick trip under the solar shower to rinse off the salt.

How will you do laundry while at sea? BEst way is a mesh bag. Throw your clothes in it and trail it behind the boat for a couple of hours. Haul in, dump in a bucket with some fresh water and rinse the salt out.

Think about your water usage today - Americans in general (note the in general) use unbelievable amounts of water compared to europeans. Try using only 4 gallons of water per day per person at home - can you do it?

If not - then you better start thinking about a bigger watermaker or about changing your habits.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:18   #7

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

A lot of people don't have water makers. I have 2x 5 gallon containers for storage, but could get by on just one.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:47   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How much water do we need?

The amount of water you NEED psychologically is around 5litres/day.. that's enough for drinking/cooking and one litre every other day is enough to rinse off after a saltwater shower..
Physically you can get by on 1/2liitre/day for a longggggggg time.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:28   #9

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

As a liveaboard 50gal lasted me 3/4 weeks. On passage did 2 of us for a month crossing the Atlantic (no we did not get any usefull rain!). Water is like money, you use what you have and tend to want more. A pressure salt water system to galley, washdown and deck shower helps a lot
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:20   #10

Lugging water gets old really quick.

A too small watermaker is a teaser.

A larger watermaker takes more power per hour, yes, but it produces more water.

You have to do the math: X gallons per hour at Y amps = Z amp hours.

You'll find a larger watermaker uses LESS amp hours in total for the larger amount of water.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:41   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
You'll find a larger watermaker uses LESS amp hours in total for the larger amount of water.
Up to a point - then it turns the other way again. Not taking energy-recovery systems into account, that point seems to be 6-8gph or so.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:46   #12

Good point, although 6-8 is still much larger than their 1.5.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:05   #13

Two aboard can make do with 50 gallons per week... but you wont be showering a lot etc. Just cooking and rinsing off after swimming.
If the Powersurvivor is old I would consider it "no value" as it's pretty likely the membrane is shot....if the unit works at all. If it's pickled... which it very well might not be, then usually it wont get tested in a survey (unless you want to pay to get it pickled again).
Bottom line is, don't buy a boat because it has an old watermaker and especially a powersurvivor 40.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 15:48   #14

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
We tried cruising with one and it didnt work for us. I detailed the reasons here:

Gear Review: Estrellita’s Watermaker Saga ~ SV Estrellita 5.10b

Just one boat's perspective...we use about 5 gallons per day total for two of us...YMMV
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 15:58   #15

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

[QUOTE=Cheechako;1741436]Two aboard can make do with 50 gallons per week... but you wont be showering a lot etc. Just cooking and rinsing off after swimming.
If the Powersurvivor is old I would consider it "no value" as it's pretty likely the membrane is shot....if the unit works at all. If it's pickled... which it very well might not be, then usually it wont get tested in a survey (unless you want to pay to get it pickled again).
Bottom line is, don't buy a boat because it has an old watermaker and especially a powersurvivor 40.[/QUOTE]

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water