Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 12:06   #106

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI
Re: Hot water on demand?

Ok, I've now read ABYC propane rules twice.

A-22.
A-26.
A-30.

And 46CRFpart 185.5)

Frankly it's straight forward, maybe a bit over the top, but I can live with it.

Newhaul and I have been in contact,he's also offered up,some straight forward ideas aswell. And I do like the rail hangers.

As I stated above, I did purchase two marine grade propane detectors. I looked closely at the one you suggested, and opted for my choice simply because I've seen that the two separate, leads can become a problem.

I really like the rail done correctly they can look hangers. I still like my one gallon Coleman bottle idea, with a pre plumbed check valve and on/ off valve.

Spin the bottle into the fixed pre plumbed check valve, spin on the propane control,valve, note pressure on guage, apply water via instant on, water wand head, wet down, shut wand off. Leather up, turn wand back on, rinse off.

Secure wand, shut off valve, listen for leakage, pressure guage confirms zero leak, screw bottle off, secure on deck..,

Install one of two marine propane detectors on the head floor , below the sink. It's not the bilge, but it's the lowest spot on the floor boards, 3 feet away from the shower head, instant on . Any propane detected would trigger alarm.".

Just seems simple in my mind.

What I don't like about building a propane locker. It's below deck, it's vented overboard, which required poking holes in my boat. Running roughly 30 foot, of rubber hose thur bulkheads, again causing holes., and chaff issues.

I now have roughly 30 feet of concealed hose vs 2 or 3 feet of line plumbed right below the L5.

However with one pound bottles, I've created a storage issue. Where as a 20 lb bottle is far more practical.,

This I know, I already own the L5, it's going in. What I,don't know is how. Safety costs and installation are key factors.

Thanks again.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:11   #107

Anyone who is OCD about propane, but wanting this, could simply run two water hoses to their cockpit coaming box. Attach brass quick connects to the hoses and L5. Hang the L5 on the lifeline and use the little camping propane bottles. Attach the quick connects and "GO!" (there are many types of quick connects)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z282yzfo5oy.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	139269  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:20   #108

that QD set up is very very simlar to what I had in mind. I envision a on off valve, and a pressure guage plumbed into the top of the male part of the QD.

Yea showering on deck,is the easy solution. I'm just not interested in showering outside in Oregon, Washington,,Canadian or,Alaskan weather.,,

Thanks I'm going to,the RV store and setting up the balvimg for,a,20 pounder and for the one pound bottles. I'm sure I'll find a use for,both. ,

Thank you.

Dirk
Old 09-01-2017, 12:24   #109

Boat: Liberty 458

The little camping bottles are not certified for in door use. This makes them less suitable than a dedicated line from the regulators perspective.

If you're comfortable with an alcohol stove then I don't see the resistance to running a propane line makes sense.

If you're worried about propane leaks, and that is a healthy mindset, then I wouldn't have a screw on bottle inside.

Spend some time discussing your proposal with a licensed gas fitter pfrerably someone with marine ABYC experience. Listen and take their advice.

If you've ever experienced a confined spaces or explosive atmosphere gas issue then you'll think differently about your idea.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:32   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
that QD set up is very very simlar to what I had in mind. I envision a on off valve, and a pressure guage plumbed into the top of the male part of the QD.

Yea showering on deck,is the easy solution. I'm just not interested in showering outside in Oregon, Washington,,Canadian or,Alaskan weather.,,

Thanks I'm going to,the RV store and setting up the balvimg for,a,20 pounder and for the one pound bottles. I'm sure I'll find a use for,both. ,

Thank you.

Dirk
I'm not saying showering on deck, plumb those hoses into the fresh water system to use your shower setup. One will be incoming cold from the pressure pump. The other outgoing hot to the hot hose in the boat or to the shower stall.
The QD's self close, no valve necessary.
Gauge: You'll never develop enough pressure to worry with a boat system pump.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:55   #111

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Go to an Industrial gas supply and equiptment company,
Ones that sell gas and equiptment to the trade,
They can make up flexible gas hoses to your required length and all the fittings and gauges you need,
Gas lines, LPG, Acetylene, are Left Hand Threads, The inflammable gas hoses are RED in colour, By Law,
They will have every thing you need on the shelf,
And can give you real and factual advice on what you need,
And all the safety info, Including all the relevant current laws applicable to your installation,

And they are a lot cheaper than a Marine or RV shop,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 23:31   #112

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

A-22.
A-26.
A-30.

And 46CRFpart 185.5)

Frankly it's straight forward, maybe a bit over the top, but I can live with it.

Newhaul and I have been in contact,he's also offered up,some straight forward ideas aswell. And I do like the rail hangers.

As I stated above, I did purchase two marine grade propane detectors. I looked closely at the one you suggested, and opted for my choice simply because I've seen that the two separate, leads can become a problem.

I really like the rail done correctly they can look hangers. I still like my one gallon Coleman bottle idea, with a pre plumbed check valve and on/ off valve.

Spin the bottle into the fixed pre plumbed check valve, spin on the propane control,valve, note pressure on guage, apply water via instant on, water wand head, wet down, shut wand off. Leather up, turn wand back on, rinse off.

Secure wand, shut off valve, listen for leakage, pressure guage confirms zero leak, screw bottle off, secure on deck..,

Install one of two marine propane detectors on the head floor , below the sink. It's not the bilge, but it's the lowest spot on the floor boards, 3 feet away from the shower head, instant on . Any propane detected would trigger alarm.".

Just seems simple in my mind.

What I don't like about building a propane locker. It's below deck, it's vented overboard, which required poking holes in my boat. Running roughly 30 foot, of rubber hose thur bulkheads, again causing holes., and chaff issues.

I now have roughly 30 feet of concealed hose vs 2 or 3 feet of line plumbed right below the L5.

However with one pound bottles, I've created a storage issue. Where as a 20 lb bottle is far more practical.,

This I know, I already own the L5, it's going in. What I,don't know is how. Safety costs and installation are key factors.

Thanks again.

Dirk
Sounds to me like you're making serious progress in thinking this through

Good on you for the marine propane detectors. That will add a huge amount of safety I agree with you that two separate ones are better, if you don't mind the extra installation and wiring. You do realize that they have to be hard wired, right? The detector heads use 3 or 4 watts each, so not feasible to run on batteries. Another drawback of the land ones is that they need 110v AC power; the marine ones run on 12v.

I think the last big decision you need to make is about what kind of gas tank to use. You've heard from the whole multitude on here what we think about the disposable cans, so I won't repeat all that. I would just throw a large tank over the pushpit, hanging out over the transom, and run the hose -- a single, unbroken run of hose with no joints in it, with careful chafe protection. I wouldn't be afraid of the long hose run, if I were you. Done right (and that's your time and skill, not too much cost), that is quite safe. Don't forget to use a bubbler -- not expensive and it's the t*ts for leak detection.

I also like Cheechako's creative idea to keep the heater out of the boat altogether, and just quick-connect the water connections. That's a cool idea. A little more trouble to use every time, but simple to install and almost totally safe. It would save installation of the flue, which will be the biggest headache of your Plan "A" -- chopping a hole in the deck etc.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 23:48   #113

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I also like Cheechako's creative idea to keep the heater out of the boat altogether, and just quick-connect the water connections. That's a cool idea. A little more trouble to use every time, but simple to install and almost totally safe. It would save installation of the flue, which will be the biggest headache of your Plan "A" -- chopping a hole in the deck etc.
The trouble with this scheme is the long hose runs, and the long wait for the hot water to arrive at the nozzle below decks. One either wastes a bunch of water (serious thought o n a small boat without an RO unit), or one goes through a kinda boring dance with a bucket, collecting the cold initial output for recycling into the tank, or one plumbs in yet another hose to accomplish the recycling.

IMO, better to have a longer LPG hose run (done properly) and a vented heater below decks where it is easy to deal with. Of course, that is exactly what we do, so it must be right ???

Jim
Old 10-01-2017, 05:54   #114
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

A-22.
A-26.
A-30.

Dirk
You missed A-1
Old 10-01-2017, 09:16   #115

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Don't forget to use a bubbler -- not expensive and it's the t*ts for leak detection.
Dock -- you've mentioned this twice. If you wouldn't mind explaining. Is the "bubbler" the ABYC-recommended gauge for doing leak-down tests? Have not heard this term before . . . .
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:42   #116

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Dock -- you've mentioned this twice. If you wouldn't mind explaining. Is the "bubbler" the ABYC-recommended gauge for doing leak-down tests? Have not heard this term before . . . .
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DIY-Tools...tor/B00H4Z9IIO

Far more sensitive and usable than a gauge.

It's required by the Boat Safety Scheme, and worth it's weight in gold, in my opinion. Called "LPG bubble tester", if you want to Google it.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:06   #117

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:

It's required by the Boat Safety Scheme, and worth it's weight in gold, in my opinion. Called "LPG bubble tester", if you want to Google it.

Huh. Had not heard of this here in the states. You're right about the gauges. For whatever reason they have proven unreliable. In fact, the commercial LPG dealer I recently purchased new tanks & regulators from advised against. I'll have to see if the bubblers are available over here -- thanks!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:07   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

Actually looks like a good idea however not required but approved for use
Here is a quote from the description off the Amazon page you linked to

This bubble tester is approved under the Boat Safety Scheme.
End quote
Old 10-01-2017, 14:33   #119

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:

How small a leak will this detect? I usually use a 3 minute wait to check for leaks on my gauge. I do this each te I swap bottles.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 14:53   #120

Dockhead, is the bubbler you listed the correct device, if so, I'll have it on the way with one click. I'm a Amazon one touch shopping junkie.,,

For,what it's worth I put my L5 instant on together,,and used it last night. Works great. I noted the instant on **** down when I **** the water control button off, the water was warm then got in less then 30" seconds,,maybe a bit more.,,

I used a bucket of fresh water a 20 pounder propane off my meat smoker, and took a shower on my back deck, in a snow shower.

Is the device you shared the right tool, if so I'll purchase two.

Thanks,

Dirk

Tags
water