Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2017, 08:48   #136

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI
Re: Hot water on demand?

After reading your reviews on PEX, I'm going to replace all my existing water lines. I purchased 200 ft of 1/2 PEX yesterday at the local plumbing store. I did not purchase any elbows or tees, as they appear to be a cheap,grade of plastic, prone to shatter.

Considering going to brass fittings " elbows and tees" .

Need to do more research before I do. The up side was I can run a plastic nut onto these plastic connectors, and bolt them toexisting floor joists, under the floor boards. I,suppose I could do the same with brass, again I need to,research my options.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 09:04   #137

Boat: Catalina 387

Pex is the best freshwater piping for boats, RVs, houses, etc...

My opinion (which is prettymuch worthless as you've already bought the pex) is if you can rent/borrow a propex expander tool, Uponer propex is by far the best connection method for pex. Requires pex-A tubing. Will outlast all of us. The tool costs $600 or so, so not for all DIYs.

I'd assume you picked up pex-B tubing. For that, I'd use the press-on plastic fittings designed for pex. You may need copper or brass nipples on the heater to drop the temps a bit going into the pex (for the insides of the fittings). HopCar sells em IIRC, there was a pex thread not too long ago. Even though it's inside, the brass will corrode a bit. You can support the tubing with pex hangers (available everywhere) and use the clip-on radius supports for tight bends.

Some folks use the crimp-on connectors, and they're OK. But they're fiddly, cannot be removed, and you have to get the crimp perfect. But lots of pex has been installed with them and it's fine. It's just much more work than the ProPex or the press-on fittings.

Edit: Linky to a video of the ProPEX stuff. I've installed hundreds of feet of this stuff and it's just the best fitting system I've ever used.

jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 09:23   #138

Boat: Bristol 47.7

A number of years ago I replaced all of my copper pipes with the pex-type plastic tubing & fittings from Whale. The tubing itself comes in either metric or SAE sizes, with matching fittings of any & all configurations. The plastic fittings are not expensive, use metal roller bearings and 0-rings to form a seal, and can be easily removed/reattached. The only caveat is that you have to cut the tubing exactly straight to prevent leaks (a cheap pipe-cutting tool is helpful), but once you have a good seal you're good to go. Like standard pex, the tubing comes in blue & red for cold/hot water.

In hindsight I may have gone with standard pex and fittings since they are universally available, whereas the Whale stuff seems to be a more specific marine product. But then it's cheap enough to buy spare tubing & fittings to have onboard. The only glitch I had was connecting up to faucets which all use copper piping on my boat. Wound up sourcing an adapter from a hardware store that worked fine. Whichever the brand, I think all of these products also have hose barb adapters that allow easy hookups from the tubing to standard 1/2" freshwater hose.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your project.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 09:26   #139

Jett, WOW, thank you, very helpful. So the fittings are made pretty well? And I'm thinking I can borrow one of those flex stretchers, from my neighbor. The plumbing guy at Grover plumbing told me about the tool, I didnt realize it was an expander.

And I don't know which PEX he sold me. After explaining my project, that it was on a sailboat, and my concern about chaffing, he suggested the stuff I purchased.

he was indifferent when I shared my concern about what I thought to be cheap tees and elbows. Guess I'll go back this morning and purchase a bunch of tees elbows and slip slip connectors.

Thank you again.

Dirk
Old 28-01-2017, 09:59   #140

I guess the only comment I have would be: I see the words "available", "expander tool", "type A", "Type B", "oring"... etc...
With braided poly all you need is a clamp and a screwdriver.... Now if you have a problem anchored in Timbuktu... wonder which is better? :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 05:54   #141
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
... And I don't know which PEX he sold me...
Uponor (formerly Wirsbo), Rehau, & Mr. PEX all manufacture Pex A.
Watts, Viega, & Everhot all manufacture Pex B.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 06:47   #142

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I sell and use Sea Tech fittings. A lot of boat builders use them as well. They are stupid simple to install and they can be removed and reused. To install you just cut the tube to length and shove it into the fitting.
Sea Tech Quick Connect Fittings
Old 29-01-2017, 06:56   #143

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I sell and use Sea Tech fittings. A lot of boat builders use them as well. They are stupid simple to install and they can be removed and reused. To install you just cut the tube to length and shove it into the fitting.
Sea Tech Quick Connect Fittings
I've also heard good things about these. Similar to the Whale stuff I believe and possibly less expensive. They have the added benefit of a removable collet which can be installed that locks the connection so it cannot be inadvertently pulled apart. No special tools or procedures required AFAIK.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 07:17   #144

So I've pre plumbed my instant on water system, and replumbed it. Trying to figure out the BEST way. So I've got a strainer, a pump and a pressure flow system.

I initially plumbed the strainer pump, amd pressure system, then thought I should plumb the pump, strainer and pressure system.

Now I'm asking for assistance. The strainer is not a micro screen, just keeps the big chunks out.

I'll initially flush the fresh water tank,mother replumb it.

What is the proper way of doing this.

Dirk
Old 31-01-2017, 13:33   #145

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I guess the only comment I have would be: I see the words "available", "expander tool", "type A", "Type B", "oring"... etc...
With braided poly all you need is a clamp and a screwdriver.... Now if you have a problem anchored in Timbuktu... wonder which is better? :>)
Have a couple of press-on fittings in your spares and you'd be fine. Worst comes to worst you can hose clamp PEX around a barb, or even splice in some poly.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 08:03   #146

Boat: Garcia 45 - being built for April 2019

When installing hot or cold water systems. Make very sure you use PEX tubing , or copper if the pipe's gonna get hot.. and NOT the old grey and white PB (PolyButylene) pipe.

I've seen PB in boats... it's still being sold!!

You sure wouldn't want to install pipe that would fail a home building inspection would you?

Beware!
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/diffe...e-neil-nilesh-

I discovered some of these fittings are Still being sold!!
peteh007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water