Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 01:17   #1

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Horizontal Calorifier

Does anyone have any experience of horizontal calorifiers?

Im a bit tight for space to fit an upright but have loads of room for a horizontal one.

The company im buying off make both but I was wondering if they perform in exactly the same way or is there a down side to horizontal like not having as much available hot water or not heating up as efficiently or some such other issues.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:31   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I don't think I've ever seen a vertical one on a sailboat. All the ones I've ever had were horizontal. And they've all worked fine. I am not aware of any functional difference.

The one we have now is actually amazingly good. It's so good that it creates a problem with fresh water consumption -- it creates the illusion that you are on land and can take a land-type shower. It only holds 50 liters, but due to very high temperature of the water and very good insulation of the calorifier, it seems like much more, enough for four or five people to take hot showers in the morning. The near-boiling water is mixed with cold water to make the "hot water" which circulates in the boat, which extends the volume of hot water compared to the volume of the tank.

Besides the electrical heating element, it has two separate coils in it, one for the engine and one for the Webasto hydronic heater. That's a feature I would definitely recommend if you have a hydronic heating system.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:42   #3

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Mine will have two coils, one from the engine and one from the solid fuel stove in addition to the 240v element.

As you rightly say, if the water is at @ 70c (engine runs c90) and its blended at 2-1, a 80 lt tank will give me a lot of water.

In addition to the factory sprayed foam lagging, I will box it and stuff that with more foam once its plumbed in.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:11   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Sounds like a plan! I wish you many pleasant hot showers!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calorifier