Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2016, 12:48   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Holding Tank: Vent Filter

Peggy is right; if not installed properly they can clog. But contrary to the flavor of this thread, there are a whole lot of folks that are happy with them. I have tested larger vents, treatment chemicals, and vent filters, and they can all work. The best choice... depends.

In my case the vent was very near a critical hatch, and a vent filter provided a perfect solution.
a. I have a cat and it doesn't heel much.
b. I installed it in a high location and provided a trap.
c. I still use a nitrate-based chemical (Camco Ultra or Forespar Refresh, both excellent). These reduce the odors in the tank, reducing permiation and possible odors from flow-back (we spray the chemical in the bowl before leaving--work great).

The canisters last ~ 2-3 years and can be refilled in 5 minutes for ~ $5.
Sail Delmarva: Holding Tank Odors vs. Carbon Vent Filter

Old 24-09-2016, 13:43   #17

Boat: PDQ 44i

It's a "no brainer." Everybody is right. Pump air into the top of the tank using a bait tank aerator. This prevents anaerobic bacterial growth. Add KO or other product to the tank. AND build yourself an activated charcoal filter for the vent line. You can get the parts to build your own filter. Any home store can provide PVC pipe and hose barbs. Make it so you can open and close it to change the charcoal periodically. Buy the charcoal at the pet store. (It is used for aquariums.) Do them all. Each contributes to odor elimination.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 14:07   #18

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

It don't like the filters because as others have tried to suggest (and I will put it in very non scientific language) you are inhibiting airflow which makes the smell 10 times worse due to the completely different bacteria now growing in your tank because of the reduced airflow. So why try and cover a problem with a device which introduces a new set of problems to deal with. I have seen ruptured holding tanks due to clogged charcoal filters.
Since becoming a believer is proper airflow I have not had any holding tank smells. If possible a 1" or larger vent should be employed.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 19:15   #19

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I installed a home size fish tank aerator pump to force fresh air into the holding tank and I have never any odor in the boat in the years since installed.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 19:45   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

My old boat had bad stinky odors from the vent lines when flushing the heads. On my new boat the problem has been completely eliminated, 100 percent, thanks to fresh water flushing. I do not have vent filters and do not need them. I do have a valve so I can switch to saltwater flush if necessary.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 20:32   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
It don't like the filters because as others have tried to suggest (and I will put it in very non scientific language) you are inhibiting airflow which makes the smell 10 times worse due to the completely different bacteria now growing in your tank because of the reduced airflow. So why try and cover a problem with a device which introduces a new set of problems to deal with. I have seen ruptured holding tanks due to clogged charcoal filters.
The only problem with this logic, particularly if treatment chemicals are used... is that it isn't true. Unless you have tested this assertion side-by-side (I have), why post an opinion?

That said, a filter is not the best answer if the other methods are sufficient.
Old 25-09-2016, 04:35   #22

Boat: Compass 29

I have recently installed a holding tank but I ran the vent line back through the transom. That way any odour will exit behind the boat, unless I am sailing downwind. I believe in the KISS principle.
Happy sailing.
yachttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 06:39   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
My old boat had bad stinky odors from the vent lines when flushing the heads. On my new boat the problem has been completely eliminated, 100 percent, thanks to fresh water flushing. I do not have vent filters and do not need them. I do have a valve so I can switch to saltwater flush if necessary.
What you described wasn't odor out the tank vent, it was odor in the head caused by sea water left to sit and stagnate in the head intake....they're two entirely different issues. If you solved it by connecting a sea water toilet to your fresh water plumbing, with only a valve in the intake, you're risking contaminating your fresh water supply with sea water AND e-coli from the toilet. Only toilets that are designed to use onboard pressurized flush water should ever be connected to the fresh water plumbing. Toilets that are designed to use both and switch between sea and fresh have a separate remote intake pump for sea water that uses completely separate inlet plumbing.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 04:21   #24

Boat: Moody Eclipse 43
Send a message via Skype™ to Jens Jakobsen

A Vetus charcoal filter inserted in the ventline works fine for us. - No more bad odeur.

Brgds/ Jens
Jens Jakobsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank