Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2021, 16:20   #16

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Re: Holding Tank Monitor problems and suggestions

I can not imagine a worse place to have a holding tank than in the keel. Having said that--the only easy solution that comes to mind to check when level is getting high is to have a small air hose tube descending a foot or so into the tank. When the test air flow from a small pump such as a portable aerator (fishermen use them to keep live bait water oxygenated--they need about one and a half volts, and you are only using it for a second or so each test). The sound of bubbling means you need to pump out.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 21:54   #17

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Yup. That’s exactly what I thought five years ago. I figure the concept is so simple you could make your own with a couple of valves, check valve, air supply and a gauge. You could even blow into the hose. Parts about $100 from McMaster. No electronics. This would let you manually check at will.
I made my own, see my post below. Cost about $40. I like the idea of the check valve. I have to confess that when the bulb had problems I would blow.
When folks ask about how it works, I give the milkshake analogy.

Blowing down the straw to create bubbles when the glass is full takes more effort than when the glass is half full. Milkshake = waste.

If you really want to be super geek, you can calibrate your gauge to take into account waste density.

The Hart system is great and is worth the price if you don't want DIY. If you have the time and interest and your labor is free then DIY otherwise buy a tank tender.
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 02:45   #18

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C View Post
I made my own, see my post below. Cost about $40. I like the idea of the check valve. I have to confess that when the bulb had problems I would blow.
When folks ask about how it works, I give the milkshake analogy.

Blowing down the straw to create bubbles when the glass is full takes more effort than when the glass is half full. Milkshake = waste.

If you really want to be super geek, you can calibrate your gauge to take into account waste density.

The Hart system is great and is worth the price if you don't want DIY. If you have the time and interest and your labor is free then DIY otherwise buy a tank tender.
You actually need two tubes it you want to measure density.
Old 27-07-2021, 15:10   #19

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
I tried to wade thru the thread so I apologize if someone else posted this already. One of my marina neighbors sent me the link to this company - Their holding tank, fuel and water tank sensors are what he just installed and he said he couldn't be happier.

https://kus-usa.com/application-solutions/marine/

I'm about to install the same set on my boat.
I saw theirs and was considering it, except that they are 1.5" NPT, and I need 1.25".

It looks like a solid product.
Old 27-07-2021, 15:22   #20

Boat: Morgan 382

I would like to give an update. I got a call today from SCAD, whom I had emailed over the weekend as well. Michael remembered me from the special order sensor I bought with longer wires to get the connection out of the bilge.

We had a good long talk, and I must say the support from this company is great, and do recommend them- it is a great product, and not overpriced like so many other offerings.

We went over how to power the sensor without it needing to be connected to the panel meter, and what the voltage readings should be. With some testing, I determined that water in the bilge affects the sensor. With 6" of water in the bilge, the sensor will read nearly empty, even with a full tank. So the issue is specific to a very unusual installing in my boat.

For now, I guess I just need to empty my bilge frequently to check the tank status. I might make my own meter at some point, I have several ideas that I think would work well.

But for anyone reading this contemplating a SCAD system, I recommend it.

Tags
holding tank, monitor