Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2014, 04:56   #1

Holding Tank location

Hello,

I have a Sun Odyssey 44. Some know it as the former Sun Magic 44.

I would like to upgrade at least one of the heads to a newer type toilet...possibly a Lavac, and a holding tank (as they were not originally installed 20+ years ago).

The problem I'm having is finding room for a holding tank. The areas under the sole is limited, and those areas that do have space are taken up with water tanks. About the only areas I THINK I can use are under the forward berth in the peak, there is a space that is triangle shaped, otherwise take up a locker in an adjacent berth, or remove a water tank and use that space.

I'm wondering if there are any out there that have had the same problem with the same kind of boat, and where did you put the tank, or with similar boats.....what was your solution.

Thanks,
Steven
joker64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 20:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Holding Tank location

My little boat did not come with a holding tank when I first purchased it. Lets just say there can be an odor issue from the holding tank area when installed under a V-berth.. Not all the time, but it can be noticeable.

I might recommend adding a water tank under the V berth and replace one water tank, or convert it, to a holding tank.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 20:43   #3

I have a holding tank (25gal) under a v. No issues with smell, etc. It was installed prior to my purchasing her and was brand new never used when I bought her 5 years ago. On my prior boat the waste tank was under a setee in the main salon. Also no issues with any smells. Although I'd personally prefer the waste tank to be somewhere in the aft lazarette area.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 22:57   #4

Thanks guys for the input,

I am leaning towards taking one of the water tanks out, and putting the holding tank in it's place. As I have 4 water tanks, one just ahead of the head, and each one is 100+ liters. I think that I can take the plastic one out, as the other 3 are ss, and replace that with a holding tank.

The only problem that I can see (and as I've never done this before...maybe it isn't a problem) is that the thru-hull is higher than the holding tank. So, I suppose to gravity drain while out to see. So, I would need what...a pump of some kind?
Old 18-09-2014, 23:14   #5

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker64 View Post
The only problem that I can see (and as I've never done this before...maybe it isn't a problem) is that the thru-hull is higher than the holding tank. So, I suppose to gravity drain while out to see. So, I would need what...a pump of some kind?
With Lavac that's not a problem unless the local regulations restrict having a discharge valves between the holding tank and the toilet. See the installation instructions of Lavac, it's allways installed with a pump.
Of course you need a separate pump for the tank if that's not possible.
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 23:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker64 View Post
Thanks guys for the input,

Sorry guys, late night post....but, I really do know that it is spelled SEA and not SEE.

Sorry for scratching fingernails on the calk board.

Tags
holding tank