Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 18:38   #1

Holding tank dip tube???

Installed the Sealand diptube in my holding tank going by the instructions to determine the tube length and it doesnt seem right. Once installed, I can look thru the inspection port and the diptubes lowest point of the pickup flare attachment is a good 1/2" from the bottom of the tank. That makes the tube itself at least 1" above tank bottom. I'd thought it would have been closer, and am considering extending the tube lower for a more thorough pump out. Has any one install this tube and verified the gap and can comment on if it does indeed work as instructed?

Thanks
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 21:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Holding tank dip tube???

...the diptubes lowest point of the pickup flare attachment is a good 1/2" from the bottom of the tank. That makes the tube itself at least 1" above tank bottom.

If the "flare" is only 1/2" from the bottom of the tank, a pumpout will only leave 1/2" in the tank unless you put it on upside down (see attached photo for correct assembly). There has to be a little liquid left...any sludge on the bottom would dry out and harden if the toilet isn't used for even a couple of days.

(Please don't be offended at the suggestion you might have put something together backwards...you wouldn't be first person to do that...in fact I did it assembling something in my house. Took me over an hour to figure out why the d'd thing wouldn't work!)

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Attached Images

peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:12   #3

Mine is a little different than that one. The bottom is shaped more like an upside down funnel that is cut at an angle. Same concept as the bottom pipe in the above pic though. Just wasn't sure if the tip of that lower fitting is supposed to be almost touching the tank bottom, which would leave the higher end of the angled cut to provide the opening needed to allow the waste to enter the tube for pump out. I always fill and flush my tank 2-3 times when pumping out to make sure nothing but water is left inside when down. Thanks
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:36   #4
Marine Service Provider

It's not necessary to fill the tank to rinse it out...and there's a better way than adding water through the toilet: At least a couple of times a season--and especially when prepping for winter or other extended layup, do it a little differently: put a couple of gallons (enough to cover the bottom to a depth of 3-4") into it via the pumpout fitting, 'cuz that sends the water into the tank at the bottom to stir up any sludge and hold it in suspension so it can be pumped out. Repeat until you only see clean water going through the pumpout sight glass. If you have a macerator or other overboard discharge pump, put water into the tank one more time and then turn on the pump to rinse out the pump and its associated plumbing.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 12-08-2020, 12:30   #5

Does the Dometic/Sealand dip tube kit have a 1 1/2" female NTP fitting on top? I can't tell from the specs online.
SVMambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:36   #6

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

The Vacuflush holding tank on my boat gets empty when pumped out by either the deckplate or by the overboard discharge.

During my maintenance where I remove the level sensors and scrub the tank interior, starting w/ a pumpout, I don't see any fluid remaining, except for small puddles.

When I'm scrubbing w/ powdered cleaners and a garden hose I keep the overboard discharge running and it ends up clean, empty and "dry" when done.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:50   #7
Marine Service Provider

The installation instructions should answer your questions. https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/7...ptube-kit.html

Fwiw, the "grommet" is a Uniseal, UNISEAL which you can buy direct from the mfr for about $3 USD and make your own diptube for a whole lot less $$ using a Uniseal and a piece of PVC pipe that has a 1.5" OD (to fit into a 1.5" ID hose), is long enough to leave enough above the top of the tank to put a double clamped hose onto, and is cut at the bottom at about a 25 degree angle. Any flatter/closer to the bottom can clog, a sharper angle leaves too much in the tank.

--Peggie

Tags
holding tank