Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2020, 19:12   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Help! My toilet is leaking! Fix or replace?

I have a manual toilet in my head with a holding tank. I forget the make/model but it looks similar to the Jabsco one below:

It's leaking from the bottom 4 screws (see the blue circled screws). It's my first time having an issue with a toilet on my Jeanneau SO409 so I'm new to this. It's only leaking when I pump. So when I don't use it, then nothing leaks. The good news is that it seems only clear water is leaking... I think. I haven't touched, smelled, or tasted it

Should I try to fix or replace? I think they're around $250 at WestMarine, if replace. If fix, how???

If replace, go manual or electric? If electric, is it easy to change out to manual?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as this poo issue is annoying me.

[edit]I think it is a Jabsco, from my old paperwork.[/edit]

[edit 2]The vessel is 2011 and it's the original toilet. Probably due to change out? Or is this an easy fix? If replace, is it doable for someone who has never done this before?[/edit 2]
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 19:32   #2

Boat: Lancer 36
Re: Help! My toilet is leaking! Fix or replace?

There is a flapper gasket on the bottom where you indicate; if tightening the bolts doesn't fix it, you can order that part, a kit , or an entire pump assembly. I replaced the pump assembly on mine recently from a vendor on Ebay, but they are pretty common so unless you are in the 7th circle of hell like me, you should be able to find parts easily.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 19:33   #3

Boat: Pearson 424

If it’s a jabsco Twist and lock you can just get a replacement pump Assembly which contains the gasket where yours is leaking. It’s more than a gasket really, it’s also a valve. Also, the pump assembly comes with a new joker valve. I be shocked if your joker valve is functioning properly. They generally need to be replaced every so often. The pump change out is a very simple job, takes about 5 minutes and a regular screwdriver.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 19:38   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
There is a flapper gasket on the bottom where you indicate; if tightening the bolts doesn't fix it, you can order that part, a kit , or an entire pump assembly. I replaced the pump assembly on mine recently from a vendor on Ebay, but they are pretty common so unless you are in the 7th circle of hell like me, you should be able to find parts easily.
I'll take a look... going sailing on Friday, so I'll spend a couple of hours playing around with it. Yeah, I've been looking at some parts and seem reasonably priced (which is a surprise) and also readily available in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift NH View Post
If itís a jabsco Twist and lock you can just get a replacement pump Assembly which contains the gasket where yours is leaking. Itís more than a gasket really, itís also a valve. Also, the pump assembly comes with a new joker valve. I be shocked if your joker valve is functioning properly. They generally need to be replaced every so often. The pump change out is a very simple job, takes about 5 minutes and a regular screwdriver.
I did have a friend of mine replace teh joker valve 3 years ago... but now that I think about it, it seems like only yesterday... but you're right. i don't think 3 years is reasonable for a tiny plastic part to work its magic.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 20:07   #5

Boat: Cal 33-2

FWIW you can buy a complete new Jabsco toilet for $131 from Hodges Marine.
Old 10-06-2020, 20:25   #6

The pump assembly kit is not much more than the pump rebuild kit. IMHO it is much easier the buy the pump assembly. Defender sells the rebuild for around $70. The pump assembly for $92 and the entire head for around $180.

If the head is more than 10 years old it’s worth replacing the entire head. The holes around the the rim that flush rawwater into the bowl get clogged over time.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 20:27   #7

Boat: Logan 33
Help! My toilet is leaking! Fix or replace?

Or if you donít mind a messy job, clean the rubber gaskets, flaps, joker valve with dilute hydrochloride acid, until they are immaculately clean, then reassemble with some lubricant to help seal the joints. Easy and free. Unless the joker valve is unable to close after cleaning (with the suction of the pump), I donít replace it.
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:27   #8

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Fix it. Not a difficult task and one that should be done on a regular basis anyway as the gaskets do wear out with use. Takes about 10 minutes with double gloves on (trust me on that).

Other than a leaky gasket there is nothing wrong with it so why even consider throwing away a perfectly usable item and replace it? or is that just a testament to the disposable society these days.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:37   #9

REPLACE. You'll feel like new !
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:13   #10

Boat: O'Day 40

If you have any of that "funky" smell and need new hoses this is a good time to consider an odour free composting head.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:25   #11

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Cool Hand,

This is very easy & cheap to fix. But it is also an indication of a clogged waste line. Do you flush with sea water? If so, you may want to look at decrustiffing, descaling, or pigging the line otherwise the repairs may be for not.

Capt Clark
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:14   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

I'm going to replace my Jabsco with a Composting head, no smell & no disgusting maintenance!
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:24   #13

I replaced whole toilet for about 150 last year. Bit harder then just changing pump but you get a new choker valve as well as new toilet. Check your pipes when you do as a good time to clean them at same time. Cheap Jabsco electric toilet is not good. You would need to spend a 1000 on a good one ( they are great!). Keep it simple s.
Roshni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:29   #14
Marine Service Provider

A new joker valve is included in the pump...it's in the discharge fitting.

And it's not necessary to spend anywhere near $1k for a higher quality manual toilet...even the top rated manual toilet--Raritan PH SuperFlush) can be found for well under $500, even less for what's called a "conversion kit" (everything but the bowl, seat and lid). And the top rated macerating electric toilet--this one Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf can be bought for as little as $650 if you know where to shop.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:53   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Leak there is normally when the bolts are not tight enough.

Easy to fix. Open, check gasket. Give a new gasket if required.

Make sure the pump nor the base are cracked round the threads.

This is a very typical leak, esp, on a new unit or just after repairs.

The same on Jabsco, RM's and all other generic stuff.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil