Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2020, 11:35   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Help! My toilet is leaking! Fix or replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
...It's only leaking when I pump. So when I don't use it, then nothing leaks. The good news is that it seems only clear water is leaking... I think. I haven't touched, smelled, or tasted it...
Oh you definitely have to touch, smell, and taste it...post the results here, and then the group will be able to give you accurate advice. A video would really be most accurate. Please post asap.

:-)
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:39   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Just wondering if you considered just slightly tightening the four screws? Aften many pumps, they might just be a little loose. It would be a shame to replace the entire head, or do a joker valve rebuild, for the sake of just a few loose screws.

However, if you do a rebuild, or replace the head, and the problem still remains....best to just sell the boat.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 14:25   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Just wondering if you considered just slightly tightening the four screws? Aften many pumps, they might just be a little loose. It would be a shame to replace the entire head, or do a joker valve rebuild, for the sake of just a few loose screws.

That would most likely make it leak even more because the gasket is rubber...and over-tightening the screws causes rubber gaskets to pucker around the screws. Replace the gasket and tighten the screws just barely snug...flush the toilet. If it leaks, tighten all the screws, just one at a time, another quarter turn. If it still leaks, repeat until it no longer leaks.

And btw...this also applies to replacing a joker valve--which does NOT require any "rebuilding", but is actually about the easiest job on a boat and does not require removing any hoses. The joker valve is inside the discharge fitting that's attached to the pump housing using two screws/bolts. Remove the screws...you'll see it. Replace it...put the fitting back onto the pump. The flange on the joker valve is the gasket that seals the connection. And follow the directions for tightening the screws that I just posted above.

The owners manual for the Jabsco manual toilet is here:Jabsco Manual Twist & Lock owners manual ABout the only thing that's different on the "twist 'n' lock" version is the cosmetics on the top of the pump, what's IN the pump is pretty much the same for all years.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 15:36   #19

The full pump/valve kit for my Jabsco was perhaps $15 more than buying the bits inside, think I paid $75. Very quick job that way, no wondering if the old rubber was hardened up, despite a cleaning. Nice to reset the clock to zero for the next few years trouble free use.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 16:09   #20

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
If you have any of that "funky" smell and need new hoses this is a good time to consider an odour free composting head.
Oh no, now it’s begun.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 18:12   #21

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Thank you for all the info and thank you all for chiming in... I know everyone has their opinion and they are all useful and respected. Everyone is entitled to say and feel what they want.

I don't want to go composting and as much as saving $$ is good and not replacing it will save $$... I also feel that a new one will make me feel new and make it cleaner, nicer, and will provide a lot more psychological benefits than just a toilet. I don't know about you guys, but when I sit down on a brand, spanking new toilet... there's just a "happy" feeling that you can't put a price tag on

But I do like the idea of changing or, at the very least, cleaning the hoses... I have a little bit of OCD and I love to clean and have clean stuff. So, if I can get into some tough places and remove any dirt/poop/pee/bacteria/viruses/emotional baggage then I'm all for it
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 18:44   #22

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 43-101

Help! should I be able to see daylight thru my joker valve when I'm cleaning/servicing my manual system?
Johnftaggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 19:04   #23

Boat: Lancer 36

No; if you do, you know the valve needs to be changed.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 19:06   #24

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

I share the clean head is my zen place.

I've come to spray down the entire head, behind and everyplace with Clorox spray after each day. Then I wipe down. After that I take shower head and spray everything down with hot water. Everything runs down to sump. Head is fresh as a daisy every time.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 20:00   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnftaggart View Post
Help! should I be able to see daylight thru my joker valve when I'm cleaning/servicing my manual system?

No...the "lips" should be closed. However, that doesn't last very long...as flushes go through it, they stretch the "lips" and gradually the slit opens up...till eventually it becomes a hole. Joker valves really should be replaced annually.

But I have to ask...what are you doing to clean and service your toilet that allows you to see the joker valve? 'Cuz I can think of anything that makes that necessary unless you're replacing the joker valve.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:29   #26

Boat: Tartan 37C

mine too, lol Following
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:03   #27

Boat: a sailing boat

Have you tensioned those 4 screws a bit?

Did it help?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:14   #28
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Cruisers Forum never dissaponts.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:24   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

It depends.

Its toilet record is sure impressive.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:58   #30

Boat: Rival 36

I’ve serviced Jabsco toilets on many occasions. Service kits are cheap and readily available at most chandlers. Follow the assembly diagram that comes with them. You only need a couple of screwdrivers some latex gloves and you’re done. Good luck.
Sailingmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil