Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2020, 17:45   #1

Boat: Cal 2-27
Help fixing Fynspray faucet

My galley hand pump doesn't work- it's super old and doesn't create any suction. I was going to take it apart but I can't figure out how. There is a threaded top that I thought would allow the plunger to be removed but nope. There is a seam around the spout area but the thing seems to be one entire piece. I tried screwing off the plastic bottom and has to stop bc I was just scratching the plastic. Anyone dealt with a similar model? Suggestions for affordable replacement?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_173512.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	226220   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_173521.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	226221  

jc.fuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Help fixing Fynspray faucet

Is this your galley pump (Fynspray WS61)?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Is this your galley pump (Fynspray WS61)?

Looks like it! I guess the spout is just corroded on.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:43   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I love to tackle simple mechanical devices, and this is one. Probably the old gland packing material at the top in Gord's drawing is blocking you pulling the plunger out the top. The there are two valves, the one at the bottom that keeps the plunger from pushing water back toward the tank, and one made by the "leather," which lets water by when you push and catches it when you pull. One or both of these (likely the leather) has failed.

This is a pretty old pump. Over the last 40 years pressure actuated electric water pumps have greatly improved and replaced having to draw water by hand. Here's a modern version of your hand pump for $58, for which you may be able to find a better price:

https://www.amazon.com/Whale-GP0650-...a-569584416210

But, consider replacing the system with a single pressure pump at the tank, which for a small system need only be one like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N75ZIXF...pd_rd_wg=qmKG5

which at $20 is much cheaper. If you want to be able to service the pump rather than simply carry a spare, you might want to stick with Jabsco analogs.

It may be time to consider converting your system. Good luck with it.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:10   #5

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I have two Fynspray hand pumps on my smaller sailboat. While neither one exactly matches yours, each one is similar to the other and to yours. If yours is like either of mine, the plunger (WS61/3) can not be removed by pulling it up through the body and spout (WS61/3). The lower part of the plunger will not fit through the hole which has an inside diameter to match the shaft of the plunger. The body and spout is a single part and can be unscrewed from the barrel (WS61/10). The threads are the usual right hand and are rather fine. A little penetrating oil and judicious use of heat may help as may the assistance of a younger friend's stronger grip. Tools that may mark the finish or deform the parts are a no-no. For my two pumps the leather washer is a standard old timey hardware store item that needs occasional greasing or replacement.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I have two Fynspray hand pumps on my smaller sailboat. While neither one exactly matches yours, each one is similar to the other and to yours. If yours is like either of mine, the plunger (WS61/3) can not be removed by pulling it up through the body and spout (WS61/3). The lower part of the plunger will not fit through the hole which has an inside diameter to match the shaft of the plunger. The body and spout is a single part and can be unscrewed from the barrel (WS61/10). The threads are the usual right hand and are rather fine. A little penetrating oil and judicious use of heat may help as may the assistance of a younger friend's stronger grip. Tools that may mark the finish or deform the parts are a no-no. For my two pumps the leather washer is a standard old timey hardware store item that needs occasional greasing or replacement.

Bill
Thanks, I just applied some penetrating oil. I found the manual online and it says to use warm water to loosen the sealant. I have it sitting next to a heater now but I may try a heat gun if I can't get it. Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-11-2020, 08:37   #7

I recently replaced the innards of a different version of a Fynspray due to no suction. Received parts from Fawcetts in Annapolis @
Fawcett Marine Supplies LLCBoat Repair, Boat Sale & Service · Open ·
919 Bay Ridge Rd, Annapolis, MD · (410) 267-8681

and also had contact with the Fynspray contact in NZ @ [Responded next day after my query]
Anita Kruyff-Simons
White Star Products LP
18B Copsey Place, Avondale, Auckland 1024

PO Box 27-202, Mt Roskill, Auckland 1440
Ph: 09-6207109 or 09-8209589; Fax: 09-6207086
email: sales@whitestarproducts.co.nz
www.whitestarproducts.co.nz

www.swageturn.com
winjamerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:00   #8

Boat: Island Packet 27

I had the same problem - taking it apart, cleaning everything, and applying some lubricant (silicon) brought it back to life (good as new!).

As mentioned in an earlier reply, Fawcett Boat Supplies in Annapolis can order the rebuild kit from New Zealand. It took me 6 weeks to receive it, by which time I had already fixed the pump as described above - will use the kit next time there's a problem (hopefully in another 28 years!).
brucebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 16:33   #9

Boat: Quickstep 24

I highly suggest that if you need to 'recondition' the leather that you do it with a safe product for human ingestion. Like neatsfoot oil or mineral oil - do not use petroleum products like 3-in-one or WD40 which are not good for human digestion.
RiverRat37 is offline   Reply With Quote