Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 23:17   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Help/Advice Needed For Repairs To Our De-sal....

We have on board a Sea Recovery Watermaker that has performed faultlessly for 6 or so months. Model Number is SRC 600 UWC.

Recently it stopped producing, no pressure readings and the pump stroke emitting a low squeal/squelch sound.

I contacted a service agent who said i should flush for salts, i did this to no effect and went back to reading the manual.

I decided to surface the plastic valves/faces and check their springs etc, when i disassembled the unit i found that one of the pressure lines had been fitted with Steel Elbows on the end of the flexible lines.

The steel fittings on this hose had broken down forming a black rust residue.

This no doubt has spread iron pollution throughout our unit, why this was fitted i cannot begin to consider, the previous owner has never replaced any hoses on board, this steel fitting hose is identical to the 'wash hose' supplied in the flush kit in that the flush kit hose is also steel.

Any suggestions before i spend money on this?

Cheers Frank.
Old 12-11-2012, 23:25   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Help/Advice Needed For Repairs To Our De-sal....

Just a guess but it sounds like some of the debris from the corroded elbow has gotten into the high pressure pump and the pump is no longer pumping. You should be able to hear the high pressure pump operating when the unit is turned on.

On my Village Marine Tec R.O. machine all the hose fittings are nylon except for the high pressure hoses and its fittings which are stainless steel.

About half the cost is in that high pressure pump and the other half in the R.O. membranes and containers. You might try feeding distilled water directly to the high pressure pump or to the low pressure pump - if the hoses/fitting between them are clean and not corroded.

If the pump is not working then your choice is to purchase a replacement high pressure pump or have it rebuilt by the original manufacturer of the R.O. machine or their authorized service center. It will be expensive . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 23:37   #3

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Help/Advice Needed For Repairs To Our De-sal....

Ok they were my thoughts as well, when we flushed for salts there was a lot of black particle which made me suspicious, when i undone the high pressure hoses one was Stainless and in good condition the other crumbled on the flare area and was split there as well.

I know of a unit here same as mine that the owner spent a load on and frustrated threw it into storage, i have contacted him to try to buy his unwanted unit. He is a wealthy German owner who was totally disillusioned by the back up for these units.

Ours went well till this hose let it down, i believe it was factory installed matching the flush hose in the flush kit in every way!!!

Thanks for your help Frank

Tags
repairs