Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 17:17   #1

Boat: Swarbrick 40
Heat exchangers for hot water?

Hi. I am wanting to install a heat exchanger for hot showers.
We have gone without hot water for a few years now but think it would be better to have the ability to have a hot shower especially through the winter.
I am looking at two types
1. The Glind type of heat exchangers
2. The plated heat exchangers

I can see the advantage of plated exchangers. They would hold heat in the plates for longer.
But will they leak over time? This is my main concern with this type.
Does anyone have experience with this type?

The glind type is probably set and forget. Does anyone have any experience with this type?

Pictures to follow
Hoohaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 17:53   #2

Re: Heat exchangers for hot water?

Glind
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glind <a title=Heat Exchanger.jpg Views: 352 Size: 21.2 KB ID: 185355" style="margin: 2px" />

Plated

Name:   Heat_Exchangers_Plated.jpg
Views: 2603
Size:  9.4 KB
Old 05-02-2019, 18:19   #3

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

At least here in the US, the usual approach is a marine water heater. It includes a heat exchanger (using engine coolant) in the hot water reservoir and an electrical heating element. Several models with differing capacities are available, and the electrical element gives you options when dock power is available.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 18:29   #4

I have a hotwater heater but its bulky and would use allot of water just to keep it topped up. I don't want to reinstall it, We just want a quick shower at the end of the day so don't really need A large heater.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:15   #5

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Yes, they are indeed bulky, but ...
They "store" the heat from your engine for a long time, so you don't have to be running the engine, or shower relatively shortly after shutting it down. Also, they don't really "use" any water per-se. It is essentially just another storage tank.
Just a thought on another of the endless boat compromises ...
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:24   #6

Not sure how you feel about propane but a small instantaneous water heater may suit you. A heat exchanger alone requires engine running while you shower. Heat exchangers don't store heat. Basic hot water tank with internal heat exchanger and 120/240v element is a nice solution...
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:47   #7

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I guess I don't understand the question. Where's the heat that you want to "exchange" coming from?

If it's from the main engine, then the traditional water heater, tank style, is overwhelmingly the simplest and most economical solution. If you're burning something (propane, diesel, whatever) to generate the heat, then an off-the shelf on-demand water heater is probably better than a roll-your-own solution.

Or do you have some other source of waste heat you're trying to capture?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:00   #8

Boat: Beneteau 361

We use a camp shower when on anchor for awhile. Can be purchased on Amazon or sporting outlet store for under 20usd. It answers quite well in lower latitudes, although, maybe not so well in colder climates.
mtarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 16:10   #9

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I have something you call 'glind' in my campervan, but I have to run the engine to warm it up, and keep it running to produce hot water. Hence I rarely use it and use a solar-shower instead.

Commercial hot water boat systems are expensive and require some space. If price is an obstacle, why not make your own hot water heater (calorifier). If you insulate it well, water stays hot for >24 hrs. Cost could be < $150 for fittings (without a 240 V heating element). If space is a problem, making your own to fit the space you have (and according to your avatar you have a 40ft boat?).
Old 06-02-2019, 16:36   #10

You'll find the Glind are more common to the 4x4 community. You warm it up for a couple of minutes or so with an idling engine and then keep the engine idling while in use.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 16:49   #11

Yes. I used to have the hotwater heater installed in the back of the engine room. We have put a new engine in and its getting pretty tight in there.
The heater was never used. So ut just took up allot of space.
I don't have a problem running the engine for the short time it takes to have a quick shower. I am just looking into the alternatives. We are in A nice warm client for half the year. So I think it will be enough for us.
Mtarcher. How old is the Glind unit and does it give you adequate hot water for a shower ?
Old 06-02-2019, 16:51   #12

Sorry. That question was meant for Hank
Old 06-02-2019, 16:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Yes, they are indeed bulky, but ...
They "store" the heat from your engine for a long time, so you don't have to be running the engine, or shower relatively shortly after shutting it down. Also, they don't really "use" any water per-se. It is essentially just another storage tank.
Just a thought on another of the endless boat compromises ...
I take your point. I might look at reinstalling it. But want to explore the other options before.
Old 06-02-2019, 17:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymaxion View Post
Not sure how you feel about propane but a small instantaneous water heater may suit you. A heat exchanger alone requires engine running while you shower. Heat exchangers don't store heat. Basic hot water tank with internal heat exchanger and 120/240v element is a nice solution...
I have thought about gas but am not keen on introducing another fire risk. It's probably safe as houses but it will be nice to not have to put my fingers in my ears when lighting the oven.
Old 06-02-2019, 17:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I guess I don't understand the question. Where's the heat that you want to "exchange" coming from?

If it's from the main engine, then the traditional water heater, tank style, is overwhelmingly the simplest and most economical solution. If you're burning something (propane, diesel, whatever) to generate the heat, then an off-the shelf on-demand water heater is probably better than a roll-your-own solution.

Or do you have some other source of waste heat you're trying to capture?
Heats coming from the engines cooling system.

Tags
heat exchanger, water