Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 18:41   #1

Heat exchanger and engine

I recently posted a thread on holding tank sizing after which I decided to enlarge my tanks....ten gallon waste to 31gallon. This meant that I needed to move my water tank">fresh water tank to opposite side of the boat, so at the same time , I decided to increase that tank from 18 gal to 31 gallons. In doing this , I will need to mount my hot water heater above my fresh water tank. Fresh water tank will sit basically at the same level where the water heater was originally mounted. I plan on installing frameworks around the water tank and then mount the hot water tank above the tank. Hot water tank will sit approximately 14 inches higher than originally mounted. Hot water tank has heat exchanger connections and 110V coil. I

After reading some posts here, I am concerned about my water heater heat exchanger and its new location being too high, in relation to the engine(Mercruiser 350 Mag, raw water cooled only). Do I have to worry about airlocks? Will the engine pumps be able to circulate the water okay?

Thanks in advance.

Rich
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 04:41   #2

Re: Heat exchanger and engine

So there is no confusion, the 350 mag is normally called a 5.7 Liter Mag...gas powered Mercury marine engine, with Bravo three outdrive. I think I am ok by virtue of the fact that the engine cooling system is raw water all the way--no closed loop heat exchanger. The one thing I will have to consider is that if/when I go in salt water, to avoid corrosion, I will have to install an anode or disconnect the heat exchanger lines altogether.
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine