Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2020, 07:30   #1

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
"Healthy" compressor cycle times?

I am still getting my new ab cold machine fridge install dialed in...

When i mount the thermostat wire on the evaporator plate the compressor short cycles (on 3 minutes off 2)

I have removed the thermostat from the plate and have it dangling in the box...

Now with the thermstat at 3 (out of 7) it runs for 10 minutes and is off for 15 minutes. Temp in freezer is 18f when it kick off and 28f when it kicks on...

Is this considered a healthy cycle? Or do i want longer run times and off times... compressor has great air floe and get slightly warm but not hot..

Thanks
Ben
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 07:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: "Healthy" compressor cycle times?

The install manual that comes with the unit will describe the location and mounting procedure of the sensing tube.
Follow it to the letter.
The plate is what cools the box, and its engineered to run on the tstat range.
A range of 15f to 28f is not a freezer.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 07:59   #3

I did follow it to a T and the compressor short cycled, talked to dometic tech and he said tstat is no good so i by passed it and the box cools fine... i am experimenting with the bad tsat while i wait for the new one... i have allready made ice cubes soooo
Old 23-09-2020, 08:00   #4

Not looking to debate weather freezing temperatures constitute a freezer.... just curious how it should be operating in ideal conditons
Old 23-09-2020, 15:32   #5
Marine Service Provider

That depends on your specific boat, each one is different, insulation thickness/ vapor barrier, evaporator location, gasket effectiveness, all have a huge effect. Have a look at Richard's info on this, he has a very informative website.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 16:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerking View Post
That depends on your specific boat, each one is different, insulation thickness/ vapor barrier, evaporator location, gasket effectiveness, all have a huge effect. Have a look at Richard's info on this, he has a very informative website.
Coolerking is correct there will never be two ice box conversion refrigeration systems that perform the same. Generally the properly sized evaporator for a refrigerator box cycles off at +10 degrees F producing a box temperature low in box of 34 degrees F.

Desired thermostat cycling is 50% compressor running time and 50% compressor off. The CU100's thermostat when purchased had a compressor speed control resistor in its wiring about one inch from thermostat control to set speed to match compressor output to evaporator's size. The least amount of time compressor runs at its lowest speed will improve energy efficiency if desired box temperatures can be maintained. Yes compressor will run longer at the lower speed but in a day will use less electrical power. I normally recommend the automatic AEO speed module from Danfoss when there are major ambient climate temperature changes expected for a cruising boat.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 17:26   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Did you have any "load" in the freezer when you observed the short cycling? An empty one will tend to cycle the compressor more often than a full one.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 10:17   #8

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Cycle time is dependent on what is in the refer. If it is full of cold food it will hold temperature and Cycle slow. An empty refrigerator will Cycle quicker as there is nothing holding the cold temp
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 06:10   #9

Boat: Lagoon 41 S2

I had the same problem with my new frig unit, bought an Inkbird ITC-100 digital thermostat from amazon for $16. Now everything works great and I know what the temperature is without opening the door.
Library70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, health