Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2019, 08:44   #1

Head that is easy for kids to flush?

We have young kids aboard, 4 under the age of 8. Our boat has two heads, the main head has a raritan PH2 and aft head has a jabsco twist-n-lock. I know the PH2 is lauded for its reliability, but its hard for the kids to flush so they tend to use the aft head more often (plus the main head is the one connected to the holding tank). We'd like to "upgrade" the main head to something easier to flush. I've heard good things about Lavac, are there any other recommendations? Not opposed to electric, but I do prefer to keep things simple if possible.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 10:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Head that is easy for kids to flush?

Lavac is a great toilet, but not kid friendly...or even landlubber adult friendly. If you check the profiles of posters who love it, you'll see that they're almost 100% live-aboard cruisers.

IMO, your best option is a basic macerating electric toilet (PS rated the Raritan SeaEra "best budget buy")...your kids--and your landlubberguests too--only need to push a button...count to 3 if they only peed, 5 if they did more than that...release the button. You can keep your Jabsco bowl seat and lid...they WILL fit. Raritan SeaEra Conversion Promo Sheet Defender has it on sale right now for $369...WM will price match which could save you some money in shipping cost.
https://www.defender.com/product3.js...293&id=2880792

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 11:20   #3

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Just buy them a robust plastic bucket, the kids will love the 'chuck-it' flush!
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 11:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Lavac is a great toilet, but not kid friendly...or even landlubber adult friendly. If you check the profiles of posters who love it, you'll see that they're almost 100% live-aboard cruisers.

IMO, your best option is a basic macerating electric toilet (PS rated the Raritan SeaEra "best budget buy")...your kids--and your landlubberguests too--only need to push a button...count to 3 if they only peed, 5 if they did more than that...release the button. You can keep your Jabsco bowl seat and lid...they WILL fit. Raritan SeaEra Conversion Promo Sheet Defender has it on sale right now for $369...WM will price match which could save you some money in shipping cost.
https://www.defender.com/product3.js...293&id=2880792

--Peggie
Wow that is really great advice! I like the idea of keeping the existing bowl. What are your thoughts on fresh vs seawater version?
Old 14-02-2019, 12:15   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

Look at a Groco K Head. Pump the handle step on the pedal and away it goes. 2.5 inch diaphragm, all bronze body chops up just about anything.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 12:18   #6
Marine Service Provider

Weeellllll...that depends on whether you carry or can make enough fresh water to consume another 2-3 gal/person/day in addition to the amount you're using now. Your PHII is a sea water toilet...I think I'd stay with sea water for the electric toilet for consistency and also because the fresh water version of the SeaEra costs about twice as much.

--Peggie
Old 14-02-2019, 12:29   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw7 View Post
Look at a Groco K Head. Pump the handle step on the pedal and away it goes. 2.5 inch diaphragm, all bronze body chops up just about anything.
The Model K is indeed a fine toilet...and with a $1500 price tag, it should not only do all that but its seat should also rise up and stand at attention while it sings"Columbia the Gem of the Ocean!"

--Peggie
Old 14-02-2019, 13:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Weeellllll...that depends on whether you carry or can make enough fresh water to consume another 2-3 gal/person/day in addition to the amount you're using now. Your PHII is a sea water toilet...I think I'd stay with sea water for the electric toilet for consistency and also because the fresh water version of the SeaEra costs about twice as much.

--Peggie
We carry 330 gallons of fresh water, plan to be a docks for a while but we also have a watermaker.

Looking at the link you sent appears to be just for a replacement base and not a conversion kit. The promo shows part number 160LF012 for freshwater, 160LI012 for integral intake pump and 160LR012 for remote intake. They are all pretty comparable in price except the remote intake pump version - I wonder if there is some advantage to that?
Old 14-02-2019, 13:09   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

Peg Hall,
I guess I look at it as the lowest cost of ownership as I have had one for over 20 years and have spent less than 125.00 on parts for it.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 13:27   #10
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw7 View Post
X2. Our 4yo and 3yo use ours without issue, and it’s near impossible for them or anyone else to sink the boat by leaving it open.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 13:34   #11
cruiser

Convert your existing Jabsco head into an electric macerating head for less than the cost of a new toilet, you'll love it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 14:06   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

Kenomac is right, Jabsco electric is a good toilet for kids. We have had one since our kids were babies (Now 11) and never had a blockage yet. Just press the button and done. The only issue once was a wet wipe "mysteriously" ended up getting flushed down the toilet. It got caught around the macerator and bent the shaft just slightly so the toilet started to weep around the motor. No big deal, just replaced the motor. Now everyone knows what can and can't be flushed down the toilet.

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 14:48   #13
Marine Service Provider

The replacement base assembly IS the "conversion"...it converts everything south of the bowl. I'm also sending you a link to the owners manual...it includes the installation instructions. Raritan SeaEra owners manual Wiring is critical!

As for the remote intake pump, there's no advantage to selecting it without a reason...for instance occasionally can be a situation in which there isn't enough space for integral pump, or there may be a noise issue that moving the intake pump to the bilge solves. As for the basic fresh water version, I thought they'd discontinued it when they introduced the SeaEra QC, which is a high end fresh water version that's very close to their Marine Elegance.

--Peggie
Old 14-02-2019, 16:19   #14

Well I'm certainly inclined to take your word for it considering your authority on these matters! In practical terms then what is the difference between the "conversion" and the replacement base assembly... just some trim covers?

If I buy the base assembly, am I locked into sea water?
Old 14-02-2019, 19:03   #15
Marine Service Provider

In practical terms then what is the difference between the "conversion" and the replacement base assembly.

None except semantics. Compare what's in Raritan's promo with what's in the Defender listing to come up with your own answer to that question.

If I buy the base assembly, am I locked into sea water?

Nope. You referenced the part numbers for the various versions, and you noted that the prices are not that different. Just buy the version you want. That may require a chat with Defender (assuming that's where you want to buy it) . I suggest you spend a little time with the owners manual before placing an order.

--Peggie

Tags
head, kids