Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 19:10   #1

Boat: McIntosh Cutter-rigged Sloop, 47'LOA
head pumps

After I noticed no water pumping in to the head (running the motor with no apparent suction), I disconnected the suction side and determined that the thru-hull and all hoses and connections were clear all the way to the pump. Reconnected everything, and now the pump won't run. It has power, and with a button activated there is motion on the back end of the pump (it looks like a screw head that rotates when the button is pushed, then returns when the button is released). Any ideas on why the pump no run?? It's a Jabsco which is a brand with which I've had quite good luck. Thanks all
Old 09-06-2019, 20:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: head pumps

I'm not quite clear about what's happening... Does the motor run but the pump isn't pulling in any water? Or does motor not run either? If the motor runs, does the pump empty the bowl ok (put a couple of beer cups of water in the bowl to find out), just doesn't bring in any water?

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 21:48   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

From your description of the shaft moving and returning when you push the button, it sounds like something is jamming the pump. I suggest you disassemble the pump and start looking for the problem.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:08   #4

Boat: McIntosh Cutter-rigged Sloop, 47'LOA

Peggie, the motor does not run. When I hit the button, there is electrical engagement of the motor as evidenced by a small fitting on the wires end of the motor that rotates slightly, then when the button is released, rotates back to original position.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

In that case, I'm pretty sure HopCar nailed the problem: somebody flushed something that's jammed the pump...I'd bet 10-1 it's a d'd wet wipe.

In the future, be sure to warn your guests that flushing ANYthing but body waste and the toilet paper provided will jam the toilet...that ANYthing else MUST go into the trash can (and provide ziplock bags for 'em to put it in).

You prob'ly should replace the intake and discharge impellers while you have the pump apart...or put a rebuild kit that includes 'em in it if it's been at least 5 years since that was done.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 14:14   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

That fitting you describe on the end of the pump is actually the end of the drive shaft. The slot in the end allows you to turn it with a screw driver. You might try that before you take it apart to try to clear the jam.

Oh yeah, buy and read Peggie’s book. I did.

Tags
head, pump