Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 11:39   #1

Boat: Bristol 32
Head Placement . . . Comfort at All Angles of Heel

hello all, i have gutted my head compartment, and am in the process of rebuilding. My question is which way should the head be facing? The existing design had the head facing the opposite hull side, this resulted in being tipped forward, or backwards whilst the boat was heeling. I have enough room to position the head facing for and aft, and am thinking it might be a better position while heeling. installing a few hand rails, would make it better as well.

Im curious about other peoples setups, and what they have found to be the ideal position for the marine head.
Maineiac_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 11:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: head placement. comfort at all angles of heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac_sailor View Post
hello all, i have gutted my head compartment, and am in the process of rebuilding. My question is which way should the head be facing? The existing design had the head facing the opposite hull side, this resulted in being tipped forward, or backwards whilst the boat was heeling. I have enough room to position the head facing for and aft, and am thinking it might be a better position while heeling. installing a few hand rails, would make it better as well.

Im curious about other peoples setups, and what they have found to be the ideal position for the marine head.
Yes, facing fore/aft is much better, and best if you then have something to brace on, on each side. We have a bulkhead on one side and a sink on the other.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 11:46   #3

You're spot on that (especially depending on the head and associated plumbing) a head mounted anywhere but amidships might be a problem. Wet plumbing systems sometimes have their intakes clear out of the water and sometimes the water actually goes over the rim and onto the floor although that's another story in regards to poor plumbing typically.

We currently have a composting head and too much heel angle will result in pee going where it shouldn't and bypassing the little safeguards that work at 0 or near 0 angles of heel.

My vote would be that if you can handle having the head amidships then do it, provided that you're not sacrificing too much on anything else. For us, it would mean having the toilet 6" away from where our heads are when we sleep in the vberth which is not a good thing.

And to toss in another curve ball, most vessels spend 90% of their time (or more like 99% in some cases) not underway where you might rather have something else more usable where the head would be.

Good luck!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 11:57   #4

Fore and aft is best if you have side walls or a rail to lean against. If that's not possible (usually is) then I prefer sideways because it's easier to brace.

Also, if you don't frequently have small children aboard and the head is low, make the step under the head a little higher than standard. Much easier in a seaway.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head