Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2021, 04:14   #1

Boat: Lagoon 46
Head maintenance

Newbie here. So sorry for asking because I imagine this has been covered ad nauseum..
I have Jabsco electric heads plumbed for Salt/Fresh which stay on fresh water. What is the best maintenance routine, especially when it comes to preventing scale build up in tubing? Muriatic acid? Vinegar? How much, how often?
Thanks for the help!
Tracyandkimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 04:42   #2

Re: Head maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyandkimo View Post
Newbie here. So sorry for asking because I imagine this has been covered ad nauseum..
I have Jabsco electric heads plumbed for Salt/Fresh which stay on fresh water. What is the best maintenance routine, especially when it comes to preventing scale build up in tubing? Muriatic acid? Vinegar? How much, how often?
Thanks for the help!
Our testing and our solution: https://fetchinketch.net/2017/12/26/...th-a-solution/

If you flush always with freshwater, scale build up is a lot slower, but it is not zero.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 06:20   #3

Thanks! That sounds like what I'm looking for. Do you think there would be any value in keeping a premixed gallon in the head and periodically, every week or so, dumping a quart or so in the head? From the MSDS looks to be Phosphoric acid.
Thanks again!
Old 14-01-2021, 06:47   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I doubt that you will need anything like that frequent a flush with acid. I don't know how much calcium is in your water, however. Do any of these things happen?
1. Coffee maker gets white scale and slows down frequently, requiring a run with vinegar?
2. Shower heads clog frequently with white scale?
3. It takes a lot of soap to make any suds?

At one extreme you've got distilled water, at the other, some of the stuff we get in Florida, which comes out of limestone caves. Even here, once in several months will do.

Scale build-up in my experience is one of the lesser problems with Jabsco heads. Getting something (cherry pits, in one of my less pleasant memories) caught in the joker valves is number one. Never put anything in one that has not gone throught a digestive track, and never serve cherries with dinner.

If you get to more specific questions, perhaps you will be blessed with the wise counsel of Peggy Hall, the forum's Princess of Poop. She wrote the book, literally, on boat sewer systems:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Peggy+Hal...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Old 14-01-2021, 07:15   #5

How old are the hoses? Even the very best hoses really should be replaced every 10 years. Flushing with freshwater only and replacing hoses every ten years and you'll never have a problem with scale. I'm not saying there won't be SOME build-up, but I wouldn't expect issues.

Whenever we hear people who claim they 'can't' flush TP just makes us quietly giggle.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 07:36   #6

The boat is 1 year old new.
As a matter of full disclosure, we do flush RV/Marine toilet paper. We try to use it sparingly followed by copious water when flushing and my wife places her "#1" wipes in a container.
I will await my thrashing!
Old 14-01-2021, 08:18   #7
Marine Service Provider

From the MSDS looks to be Phosphoric acid.

Nope...it's hydrochloric acid.

You can prevent the need to use it by flushing a cupful--no more than two--of undiluted distilled white vinegar all the way through the system once a week (once a month is enough if you're only a weekend warrior), followed after 45-60 minutes by at least a quart of clean fresh water. Do NOT ever leave vinegar sitting the bowl, 'cuz when soft rubber (toilet joker valve) is left to sit and soak in vinegar it distorts and swells.

You said your toilet is a Jabsco...what's the model #?

At the risk of appearing self-serving, I second Keith's suggestion that you get a copy of my book...see link in my signature. The title (my publisher's idea) is a bit misleading...'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! And I'm always glad to answer any questions.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 08:44   #8

Crap! I left vinegar in the lines when I left the boat! Just went to Amazon for your book. I don't have the model number in front of me. It's an electric head.
Thanks

Tags
head, maintenance