Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2015, 05:40   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Have BOTH a composting toilet and marine head

Like many before me I have been researching about composting toilets. I think my pick is the Natures Head but that's been discussed on here before. What I couldn't find is people who have both. For those who have only one head onboard this would not apply but many of us have 2 heads. Since both composting and standard marine heads have their plus and minus why not have one of each? I feel sure there has to be some out there who have both systems. I would like to know which one you use most? Would you consider ripping out the 2nd head for another composting head OR do you wish you could go back to 2 marine heads.

It always seems everyone fights over best system but if you can why not have both?
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 06:02   #2

Boat: Owner Builder
Re: Have BOTH a composting toilet and marine head

This doesn't quite answer your question
I have gone to a composting head &
would never go back.
To much wiring & far to much plumbing
Plus the occasional new pump/macerator.
Not to mention blockages my all time
FAVOURITE JOB

That why I would not have both
BriaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 06:09   #3

Boat: Leopard 40

We have one Airhead and one manual pump head on our boat. We use the composting head almost exclusively and is one of the best upgrades we have made (IMHO). Guests sometimes use the manual head when cruising (when we can get offshore to dump) but discover it causes smells and needs to be dumped frequently and they start to figure out why we prefer the composter.
We haven't decided if we will install a second composter yet as some people are more comfortable with a manual and it can be handy at times but almost everyone who has stayed with us ended up agreeing that the composter was far easier to use and no where near as "gross" as they thought it would be.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 17:52   #4

That's kinda what I was thinking,,what better way to get a feel for what you like better than have one of both. When I find myself somewhere that I am able to pump out with ease may use the old system and when I'm not could use the composting head. Seems like the best of all worlds.

i just hate the idea of having the hook set in a great spot in the Caribbean and then having to pull anchor every few days to go hut for a pump out spot. It just seems like that would get old. I don't know if that's what everyone else experiences out there but constantly having to check the holding tank level seems like no fun.
Old 15-04-2015, 06:52   #5

We only have one head but used the standard for a while before switching and have no desire to go back.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 07:43   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

We are keeping one as a standard marine head and switching the second to a composting head. Seems like the best of both depending on where we are.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 08:14   #7

Boat: Scout 30

I'm in the process of converting to a C-Head. It was time to replace the hoses & tank & this is so much easier. For me the reasons not to have both are the same reasons I'm getting the C-Head in the first place: no smell, no tank, no hoses, no through hulls, no more pump outs & no more worrying about being in compliance.

C-Head portable composting toilets
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 08:16   #8
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

We did exactly what you are asking about. I removed a full up Baby Blake marine head and 30 gallon tank setup and replaced with a Nature's Head in one hull. Kept the other marine head plumbed directly overboard through a valve, of course. After about a year we got rid of the other pumper and now have two Nature's Heads. And now after getting used to the new routine I can say that I would never voluntarily share my living quarters with a tank of liquid human waste again. No more pumpouts. No smell. No hoses. Enough room in the hull for a big honking watermaker where that tank used to be. I'll be getting a bunch of holes in the boat sealed up at next haulout, too.
Old 15-04-2015, 08:46   #9

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I also have been planning one of each, plan to build the composting head, make a compartment with small fan around a 5 gal bucket, have 2 or three buckets with lids on board, still haven't figured out my solution to the liquid waste part completely. Probably involve some plastic work with PE or pvc.
Old 15-04-2015, 09:00   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.Lonestar View Post
It always seems everyone fights over best system but if you can why not have both?
I converted my starboard head to a C-head, and kept the port for a bit, but I liked the C-Head so much, I (actually my wife) pulled out the tank and 'conventional' head, converted that space into a dedicated shower, and closed up the thru-hulls.
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 09:19   #11

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.Lonestar View Post
Like many before me I have been researching about composting toilets. I think my pick is the Natures Head but that's been discussed on here before. What I couldn't find is people who have both. For those who have only one head onboard this would not apply but many of us have 2 heads. Since both composting and standard marine heads have their plus and minus why not have one of each? I feel sure there has to be some out there who have both systems. I would like to know which one you use most? Would you consider ripping out the 2nd head for another composting head OR do you wish you could go back to 2 marine heads.

We plan to do exactly what you mention: replace one of our Lavac heads with a Nature's Head [which is already purchased...] for all the usual reasons.

We have thought this through and it makes sense for us. If it fails for some reason [and I doubt it will...] we could reinstall the Lavac and put the composter in our future cabin.

We will chronicle this transition on our blog within the next month or so [once we get back on the boat and start checking-off our spring commissioning chores...]

Cheers!
Old 15-04-2015, 09:39   #12

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
We did exactly what you are asking about. I removed a full up Baby Blake marine head and 30 gallon tank setup and replaced with a Nature's Head in one hull. Kept the other marine head plumbed directly overboard through a valve, of course. After about a year we got rid of the other pumper and now have two Nature's Heads. And now after getting used to the new routine I can say that I would never voluntarily share my living quarters with a tank of liquid human waste again. No more pumpouts. No smell. No hoses. Enough room in the hull for a big honking watermaker where that tank used to be. I'll be getting a bunch of holes in the boat sealed up at next haulout, too.
Great praise indeed as the Baby Blake is undoubtedly the king of all manual heads. At $5,800 it better be!
Baby Blake Marine Toilet
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 10:11   #13

I wonder if the folks that make the composting units have considered designing one smaller similar to the portapoty used on many sailboats. I know one of the composting unit is basically designed around a five gallon pail. That is the combined volume of the clean water tank and the waste water tank in those little units.
Markh00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 10:20   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh00 View Post
I wonder if the folks that make the composting units have considered designing one smaller similar to the portapoty used on many sailboats.
It would be difficult to do, as part of the way these toilets work is to allow airflow to the fecal matter so it will desiccate (which is actually what they do, rather than compost, per se.)
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 10:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
I converted my starboard head to a C-head, and kept the port for a bit, but I liked the C-Head so much, I (actually my wife) pulled out the tank and 'conventional' head, converted that space into a dedicated shower, and closed up the thru-hulls.
Wow sounds like your wife does great work you should hire her out! I have thought about converting one of the heads to a shower also.

Tags
head, marine, marine head, oil, posting