Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2015, 09:49   #91

Re: HATE Jabsco Manual Toilet - should we Convert to Electric ?

One thing I've found about toilets, (and I've had a lot of the cheap Jabsco's) is they don't seem to suck water in well if they have a vented loop in the intake.. often gurgling lot. anyone else have this issue? Is this the OP's complaint?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:14   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"One thing I've found about toilets, (and I've had a lot of the cheap Jabsco's) is they don't seem to suck water in well if they have a vented loop in the intake.. often gurgling lot. anyone else have this issue? Is this the OP's complaint?"

Cheechako, You shouldn't put a vent in an intake line unless there is a way to close it when you operate the toilet. They are designed to let air into the line which makes it very hard to generate suction in the line.

Electric toilets usually come with a solenoid operated vent that closes when the toilet flushes.

Jabsco Solenoid Valve Kit, 37016-2000

Most manual toilets have a hose connecting the pump to the back of the bowl. You can extend that hose and install a vented loop in it. It's a pressure line not a suction line.

If the vented loop in your intake line is within reach, just cover the hole with your finger while you work the pump.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:05   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"One thing I've found about toilets, (and I've had a lot of the cheap Jabsco's) is they don't seem to suck water in well if they have a vented loop in the intake.. often gurgling lot. anyone else have this issue? Is this the OP's complaint?"

Cheechako, You shouldn't put a vent in an intake line unless there is a way to close it when you operate the toilet. They are designed to let air into the line which makes it very hard to generate suction in the line.

Electric toilets usually come with a solenoid operated vent that closes when the toilet flushes.

Jabsco Solenoid Valve Kit, 37016-2000

Most manual toilets have a hose connecting the pump to the back of the bowl. You can extend that hose and install a vented loop in it. It's a pressure line not a suction line.

If the vented loop in your intake line is within reach, just cover the hole with your finger while you work the pump.
Yeah, a lot of my toilets didn't have them, but one did when I got the boat. In theory, when you are pumping (sucking) shouldnt the little rubber flapper valve be sucked closed? releasing when you quit sucking? Yeah, in the hose pump/bowl is best.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:26   #94

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Electric toilets aren't bad, but it just seems there's even more to go wrong with them. I wonder if they freeze up from non use? seems like every boat I look at that has one ...it's not working! Unless someone is currently living aboard....
I can't see any point in having an electric toilet unless it's a potable water flushed toilet. It's really not that hard to work the pump three or four times. And if your'e anchored, it's that much electrical power you're not using.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:52   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"In theory, when you are pumping (sucking) shouldnt the little rubber flapper valve be sucked closed? releasing when you quit sucking?"

No, they have to let air in when there is suction on the line or a siphon could start and over flow the toilet bowl. I bet a clever engineer could design one with a light spring that would normally keep it open but would close with the additional suction of working the pump. You may be on to something.
Old 02-02-2015, 20:30   #96
Marine Service Provider

"In theory, when you are pumping (sucking) shouldnt the little rubber flapper valve be sucked closed? releasing when you quit sucking?"

Only if the vented loop/anti-siphon valve has been installed in the intake line between the thru-hull and the bowl, which is the wrong place for it. It belongs between the pump and the bowl, which requires replacing the short piece of hose the toilet mfr uses to connect 'em. The installation instructions for every manual toilet and all the basic electric toilets include drawings that illustrate the correct location for the vented loop in the intake.

An anti-siphon valve only breaks a siphon in a line through which water is being PULLED...it doesn't interfere with water being PUSHED through a line. The pump PULLS water from the thru-hull to the pump, then pushes it from the pump to the bowl. The air valve in the vented loop in a line through which water is being pushed won't open....vented loops only squirt if there's no air valve.

However, some electric toilets only have one intake line--the one from the thru-hull to the pump...it's the only place a vented loop can be installed. That requires an electric solenoid valve that's wired to the flush button..the solenoid valve closes the air valve when the flush button is pushed...the air valve opens again when the flush button is released.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, jabsco