Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2021, 20:40   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 43
Has anyone used PEX for Sanitation hose?

We've moved onto a new (to us) Hunter 43 that has been meticulously maintained and yet is beginning to exude a serious sewage scent.

The toilets are Jabber hand pumps so I figured I would ditch them for electrics. The hoses all look good but the previous owner had the boat for 7 years and says he replaced them all, so I figure he did so right at the beginning of his tenure. It feels like 5-7 year old hoses, whether they look good or not, should be replaced (right?).

So as I learn up on marine plumbing (bought the new testament of Peg already) I'm groking on permiation as a problem. I see people replacing lengths of sanitation hose with PVC pipe as that pipe won't permiate. By that logic, I don't think PEX would permiate either. It's also more flexible than PVC.

It seems like a no brainer but I've looked pretty hard and can't find an account of this being done. If nobody is doing something, I tend to think that's for a reason, but even so I'm curious to know what that reason is.
BrightSEALAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 08:05   #2

Re: Has anyone used PEX for Sanitation hose?

I'm not a professional plumber by any sorts, but have done a lot of plumbing over the years. My understanding from PEX is it will permeate chemicals and such. If that's correct, it seems it might also permeate sewage. I would stick to regular PVC and bend it as necessary (with a heat gun). I might would try flexpvc if I bending regular pvc was going to be a problem. It seems if flexpvc permeates, it wouldn't do it as much as pex.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 08:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

10 years is the average working life of any hose because rubber and plastics dry out, becoming hard, brittle and prone to cracking and splitting. But permeated hoses need to be replaced regardless of age (I had to replace hoses that were less than 90 days old on one of my own boats). Somewhere in "Peg's New Testament" <LOL> you'll find an easy way to test hoses for permeation.

PEX isn't a suitable sanitation hose...it's only rated for fresh water, not rated for below-waterline connections, and definitely isn't odor permeation resistant.

Raritan SaniFlex hose RaritanSaniFlex hose will definitely cost you more than PEX or hard PVC, but it's proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant (has a 10 warranty against it) and has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent almost as tight as a hairpin without kinking...it's the hose I'd use if you only want to do this job ONCE. Defender has it for < $10/ft and sells it by the foot. Raritan Sani / Flex Sanitation Hose at Defender

Give me a shout if you have more questions...I'm glad to answer 'em.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 09:03   #4

Boat: Hunter Legend 43

Yeah, in the end my conservative septic values took over and I ordered the SaniFlex.

If it weren't such a chore to change out I would love to make the experiment though. I have put PEX to a lot of 'off label' use as a hobby distiller that it's certainly not rated for (pressure, heat, solvent chemicals (and booze), and chemical exchange under exposure to all three) and it's a joy to work with and also cheap.

On the other hand, my sewage is not the oeuvre I want to upon the avant garde.
BrightSEALAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 15:13   #5

Location: Temporarily in Colorado, Annapolis to Maine this summer, points south for winter
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Raritan SaniFlex hose RaritanSaniFlex hose will definitely cost you more than PEX or hard PVC, but it's proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant (has a 10 warranty against it) and has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent almost as tight as a hairpin without kinking...it's the hose I'd use if you only want to do this job ONCE. Defender has it for < $10/ft and sells it by the foot. Raritan Sani / Flex Sanitation Hose at Defender

Give me a shout if you have more questions...I'm glad to answer 'em.

--Peggie
Hey Peggie,

I wish I'd seen this advice 3 weeks ago. How does Trident 101/102 compare to the SaniFlex? I went with Trident not knowing better.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 17:43   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Trident 101-102 got high marks from Practical Sailors 2012 test. At that time SaniFlex was still new without long term experience.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 18:29   #7

Boat: Hunter 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSEALAB View Post
I see people replacing lengths of sanitation hose with PVC pipe as that pipe won't permiate.

>snerk<

Quote:
By that logic, I don't think PEX would permiate either. It's also more flexible than PVC.

Flexible PVC pipe is a thing.

The point behind the X in PEX is that it's crosslinked which improves its performance in hot water, by reducing unwanted flexibility and creep. There is regular PE, polyethylene, available for cold water applications, and widely used for underground irrigation pipe and other uses.

PE is not especially permeation resistant, nor is PEX.

You could use PEX-AL-PEX, which has an aluminum barrier layer and is available in sizes up to 1". Might be an interesting experiment.

There's soft copper tubing, which is nonpermeable, but very expensive in sanitation sizes and difficult to install due to the large minimum bend radius. Could make for a nice installation if you are a master of the dark arts of soldering. Use something else for short runs where flexibility is truly necessary
Old 17-05-2021, 18:42   #8

Boat: Sabre 34-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Hey Peggie,

I wish I'd seen this advice 3 weeks ago. How does Trident 101/102 compare to the SaniFlex? I went with Trident not knowing better.
I have both Saniflex and Trident (as Saniflex does not come in smaller sizes) on my boat, both seem well built but Saniflex build just appears a lot more substantial than the Trident, not saying that the Trident won’t function as intended.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 18:57   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Hey Peggie,

The Trident is excellent hose. It is just not nearly as flexible as the Raritan SaniFlex. I used to sell both in my store.
Old 17-05-2021, 20:56   #10
Marine Service Provider

No need for any buyers remorse...Trident 101/102 is one of the best sanitation hoses...highly odor permeation resistant--the only hose I recommended for years. It has just one drawback: it's as stiff as an ironing board, making it a good choice only for long straight runs.

Raritan introduced their SaniFlex hose about 12 years ago...it's proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant (Raritan recently increased their warranty against it to 10 years) and has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent almost as tight as a hairpin...making most re-hosing jobs a LOT easier. I watched it and kept my eyes and ears open without ever seeing or hearing a single negative comment or reported odor permeation failure and began recommending it about 4 years ago.

So you'd just have had an easier job if you'd gone with SaniFlex instead of 101/102.

--Peggie
Old 17-05-2021, 21:02   #11
Marine Service Provider

There's soft copper tubing, which is nonpermeable, but very expensive in sanitation sizes and difficult to install due to the large minimum bend radius. Could make for a nice installation if you are a master of the dark arts of soldering.

It might look nice, but urine is so corrosive that it eats through any metal, even 316 SS in just a few years.

--Peggie
Old 17-05-2021, 21:06   #12
Marine Service Provider

Trident 101/102 is a double-walled rubber hose that's only available in 1.5" and 1"...so you had to use a different Trident hose for smaller sizes.

--Peggie