Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2009, 12:24   #1

Boat: Ebbtide 33 (steel)
Grunert ?

I am towards the end of my refit of our 33 steel sailboat and I have lots of stuff from the previous owner the that i want to get rid of most I know about and can use or find a home for but I know nothing a bout refrigeration. It had a grunert installed in one of the lockers but the installation was never completed (no hoses or wires run to it) the numbers on the side say model #BDC 12V-134A the grunert site was no help. can anyone shed any light on what this is or where i can find info on it thanks.
john landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 12:27   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I would guess that the numbers are on the compressor. It looks like you've got a danfoss 12 volt compressor rated to be used with R-134A refrigerant.

Sorry, but that's not all that helpful.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 17:14   #3
Marine Service Provider

John, Need pictures of refrigeration unit before condensing unit can be identified, as Grunert used more than one type 12 volt compressor. If this is a small 12 volt unit it may not be a Danfoss compressor. If Grunert/Demetic could not help compressor may be a 12 volt Electrolux.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 05:44   #4

Will these pictures help at all?
Thanks!

Old 17-11-2009, 07:31   #5
Marine Service Provider

John, The Grunert system you have was assembled by them probably in the 1990s it is designed to be either air or water cooled. Because the line connector caps are still intact it does not appear to have been tampered with. The Danfoss electronic module indicates that compressor is a fixed speed Danfoss BD 3 model using 134a refrigerant. Danfoss has discontinued this module and compressor replacing it with the newer variable speed BD compressors. Finding an evaporator assembly with the same size line connectors to fit this condensing unit may be a problem.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 10:41   #6

danfoss

well that's more than I knew at first. The unit was not used by the previous owner( he sadly passed away) before the installation could be completed.should I just trash it or would this be of value to someone looking to replace their old unit I have no wish to turn this into gold but if some one needed it it will be available. My own needs are going to be met by a engel. thanks for all the help.