Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2020, 05:54   #16

Boat: Sea Ray, 56 Sedan Bridge, 56ft
Re: Grey water bilge pump tripping breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Unless you are using a clip-on ammeter, be careful with the multimeter. Check it's current range. The one's I've seen go to 10A, and there is an internal fuse which you would rather not blow. Easy to get a spare breaker (you need one anyway) and connect in place of the existing one. Temporarily, using wire and alligator clips from the bus bar to the new breaker, and moving the pump wire to the new breaker, doing the test with the new breaker loose before actually installing it in the panel.
I'll check the amp max on the multimeter first. Thanks for the detailed steps. I'll give them a try this week.
UFGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 05:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Voltage drop is a function of current. If there is no current when the pump is not running there will be no voltage drop. A voltage test under a no-load condition is pretty useless.

Test the voltage at the pump with the motor running. Stab the leeds through the insulation if you need to.
Thanks BlackHeron. I like this idea the best, but am I looking for Amperage of Voltage?
Old 05-10-2020, 07:39   #18

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the help! I switched out the breaker and the pump appears to be working fine. I tested it out several times.

Unfortunately I have a Sea Ray and the breakers are "special" so while I have rigged up a temporary 10A $18 breaker from West Marine, I had to order a $50 breaker from Flounder Pounder to replace it. I searched all over the Internet and was not able to find the model of breaker I needed anywhere else for much less.

Thanks again!
Old 09-11-2020, 10:56   #19

NEW UPDATE:

Turns out it started to do the same thing again even with the new breaker. I switched out the pumps, and it seems to be working fine now. Not sure what caused this. Maybe the old pump was a 12V pump (I have a 24v system), or maybe there was just something wrong with it. Not sure, but all seems to be working fine now.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, grey water, pump, water