Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 10:00   #1

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Graywater tank regulations/thoughts

Our new/old boat has a largish (looks to be about 15 gal) graywater holding tank. The shower, head sink, and reefer drain go to it. I just finished replumbing and rewiring the pumpout pump (Whale Gusher 220). It is all set up nice and has been epoxied in to the upper part of the bilge just aft of the mast. The galley sink goes direct overboard to a separate thru hull.

I know that many boats do not have a central graywater tank and rely on smaller sumps with small pumps for the shower/headsink.

Are there any regulations or standards as to having a graywater tank like this for the US or other countries? There is not a deck pumpout fitting so at some point the graywater has to be pumped over the side in any case. But I could choose the location to pump it out, preferably out and about and not in a marina. But right now, it has to go over in a marina at some point if I shower or clean up there much.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I am lusting after the location for an increase in diesel fuel tankage. I would have to remove the existing tank as it would not be suitable. It would be a big project so it may never happen.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:25   #2

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Re: Graywater tank regulations/thoughts

Some marinas may have private restrictions on gray water, but I don't think there are any governmental restrictions in the US. Yet. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 18:39   #3
Marine Service Provider

Gray water (galley, bath and shower water) holding is required on a few of inland lakes (Lake George NY, Winnepesaukee NH and a couple in CA), but except for those, gray water--at least from recreational vessels--may legally be discharged directly overboard in all US waters.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 18:45   #4

Boat: H36

A friends steel 51' had grey water tanks. Sinks where to close to waterline so all grey water tank to be pumped overboard as required.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulations, water